shuddering when accelerating at low speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shuddering when accelerating at low speeds

I've been getting this pretty moderate vibration....enough to hear and see my windows and door panels shake.

Its not the tires or balance b/c I swapped my 17s w/ my ITRs and it still does it.

D/S Axle has about 15k on it, P/S has about 50-60k on it.

BUT you think bad bearings could cause this? They're original w/ ~209k on them. They're not making a humming noise or anything though. But considering the mileage on them, you think they're about gone?

I even tried raising my GC coilovers 3-4 turns and that made no difference.

Rack & Pinion is NEW from NAPA so are the inner and outer tierods.

Any other ideas on what could be causing this?
    Last edited by Losiracer2; 10-14-2010, 01:02 AM.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

grab ur front wheels with ur hands and shake them, if there's any play then possible wheel bearing .. check to see if the nuts for your shocks are nice and tight..also check your upper ball joints
    -:¦:-
    Originally posted by wed3k
    i rep cb7tuner all day, everyday. people say, "fuck y0 honda." and i say, "bitch, please."

Comment

My vote is axles. After replaing my OEM axles with bad boots with NAPA axles, I get a vibration too. It shakes the whole door panel on my car at low speeds.
      Originally posted by sweet91accord
      if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextAZN View Post
        grab ur front wheels with ur hands and shake them, if there's any play then possible wheel bearing .. check to see if the nuts for your shocks are nice and tight..also check your upper ball joints
        Upper and lower BJs have about 70k on them...I've got Progress camber blocks on the front. Nuts for my shocks? you mean the upper shock mounts? those three?
        Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
        My vote is axles. After replaing my OEM axles with bad boots with NAPA axles, I get a vibration too. It shakes the whole door panel on my car at low speeds.
        Well thing is, I've got EMPI axles on them, not Autozone or Checker/Orielly crap. Is this a result of being too low? There was no play in the axles when i was putting the ITRs on to test if it was the wheels/tires doing it.

At one point I was thinking about getting those DSS axles, maybe those Level 1 ones. but Idk

member's ride thread
        91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
          Upper and lower BJs have about 70k on them...I've got Progress camber blocks on the front. Nuts for my shocks? you mean the upper shock mounts? those three?

Well thing is, I've got EMPI axles on them, not Autozone or Checker/Orielly crap. Is this a result of being too low? There was no play in the axles when i was putting the ITRs on to test if it was the wheels/tires doing it.

At one point I was thinking about getting those DSS axles, maybe those Level 1 ones. but Idk
          Mine were brand new axles. They don't have any play, but maybe they are out of balance?
          Originally posted by sweet91accord
          if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
            Mine were brand new axles. They don't have any play, but maybe they are out of balance?
            so bearings only fail when they make a humming noise? or if they've got play?

member's ride thread
            91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

My cb does this too. It's one of the many reasons I kindof hate it. I'm running no-name axles and thanks to my axle nut coming loose my wheel bearing is f'ed also. So many noises coming from my stupid suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by F22HB View Post
                My cb does this too. It's one of the many reasons I kindof hate it. I'm running no-name axles and thanks to my axle nut coming loose my wheel bearing is f'ed also. So many noises coming from my stupid suspension.
                yeah i kinda think this is a recent thing though....like w/in the past month or so it got kinda bad like this, its wasn't an overnight thing. I didn't notice any decrease in my mpgs though, so i guess that might rule out the bearings.

Bushings? you think? They've never been changed and I know the rears are cracked where the shock mounts at the bottom. The upper control arms have the progress camber blocks w/ the poly bushings.

member's ride thread
                91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

I don't see how that would cause this. Only bushing I could see doing this would be the strut-rod bushings, the big ones on the front crossmember. I'm pretty sure axles are most likely. Also there is a chance for wheel weights to fall off. Seems like that'd make it shake constantly though not just accelerating.

Comment

how could you rule out bearing when you havent even checked it?
                    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                      how could you rule out bearing when you havent even checked it?
                      how do you check them? just shake the tire at the 12 and 6 o'clock and 3 and 9 o'clock? I don't hear a humming noise...what else could I do w/o physically taking the axle apart and popping the hubs out?

I checked @ autozone (way back from school) and they're 50 a side pressed in the hubs. Bearings were made by Timken? I haven't had the time to check Honda yet for comparison.

member's ride thread
                      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

get the tire in the air and check for lateral play.
                        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Working...
                        X