91 EX rpm/shift prob

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 EX rpm/shift prob

Okay here's the deal. I got a 91 EX auto with 125k about 3 weeks ago. I test drove it many times before I decided to buy it. Lately, when it changes from 3rd to 4th, the RPM hand shoots up to around 4-5,000 and then changes. Is this a serious trans problem? It only does it when the temp outside is under 50, but on warmer days, it changes fine. I've checked the trans fluid and added honda ATF and some Trans Tune on this past Sat. It seemed to help for a little while. I tried searching but I had went through 11 pages and nothing really helped me. I did find out that I need to get a front motor mount though.

Okay, now I need to make sure I'm seeing the right thing on the stick. one side is flat and has ATF at the bottom when I check it (the fluid is like a little drop at the end of the stick), the other side with the X's (that's how I describe it lol) has it, which side should I check. On my Altima, the stick has L and H so I know if it has enough. Maybe I don't have enough ATF??

All help will be greatly appreciated!!

sounds like the problem we manual owners have...the clutch is slipping, except you dont have a clutch.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

TC not locking up? I have no clue what causes that. Uh, inadequate line pressure?

Comment

hmm wait. .first and foremost make sure u have NEW FRESH ATF, HONDA only fluid in there.. if u dont see anything on that stick, then perhaps u dont' have fluid...??

try just gas lightly and let it shift in d4.. i mean not floor it, just let it drive slowly so u can feel it shift, then let off gass, and gas again to feel..
        hahahahah

Comment

Yeah I've done that before FishyMan. It seems to be worse when I'm going slower, (under 50 mph) I've seen it shoot up to 6000 when I was at 47 mph! I'm going to get my trans flushed at a local dealership, they charge 35.00 for partial flush and refill so hopefully that can help. I thank you guys for the help so far.

Comment

Here is a thought.

Does the engine sound like it is revving up that high? My car does this every once in a while when I am driving at highway speed. I will be tooling down the road and the RPM will shoot up to 4 - 5k and just sit there. Scared the Sh*T out of me the first time it happened.

Then after I slow down the RPM is slow to change even thought the engine is slowing down. After this happens I notice when I drive in town the RPM all of a sudden will jump to 4-5k again. Then when I would accelerate and it goes to shift it will drop 2-3k and repeat the same cycle again.

The only way I can get it to stop doing this is to pull over turn off the car. Let it sit for a few moments restart the car and everything is fine.

To be on the safe side I would take it to a tranny shop and have them give it a quick check to make sure it is not anything serious.

Comment

Yup MysticalMan, it does like that. Revs up then changes gear, it has a hard pull then eases off. but it only lasts for about 2 seconds. Mine will also get better when I've turned it off. Well, I had an appointment with the local Honda dealership, but ended up in a hit and run. Asshole in a 95 honda accord pulled out in front of me and left the scene, thank goodness it was only my corner light, but my bumper is hanging! Oh well, haven't even had the car a month, but every since the first day I got it, people have been trying to hit me!

Thanks Mystical and everyone, I'll prob get it checked out this Thurs since I'm off.

Comment

it almost sounds like you have an eCU problem or something. or maybe one of your sensros is going bad...the auto trans is controlled by vaccuum. I'd just have it checked at a dealership and see what they diagnose
                ProjectParty.net
                Putting an end to the question, "What's going on tonight?"

"This generation has this universal sense of failure" - Kurt D. Cobain

CLUB 1320

My FOR SALE thread...buy my ish

Comment

Working...
                X