A/C switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C switch?

When I bought my car, the guy told me that the A/C just needed a charge. Well, I haven't really bothered with it because I don't have any money, and it doesn't really bother me to roll around with my windows down. However, this is TX, and summer's coming fast.

I pressed the button the other day out of sheer hope, and noticed that the light didn't come on, I heard no change in idle, and I can't feel a lag AT ALL. I'm convinced the compressor isn't coming on.

Has anyone else had this problem? Could it be the switch or is there another problem (say, with the compressor) that is more likely?

92 DX 5spd Coupe.

We're in the studio, stay tuned.----------(click)-------->

I'd try to replace the switch before i went any furthur, the light should come on regardless of if the a/c works or not

You could also check the pressure in the a/c system, if the pressure is too low the system won't work

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
      I'd try to replace the switch before i went any furthur, the light should come on regardless of if the a/c works or not

You could also check the pressure in the a/c system, if the pressure is too low the system won't work
      That's what I was thinking. How do I check the pressure? I know nothing of A/C systems.

Comment

Find one of your friends that has a set of guages, or you could rent them from the parts store. Make sure to check the a/c fuse inside the cabin because they are notorious for blowing. If the fuses are good and just want to test operation of the compressor or fans, you can simply jump out the pressure control behind the driver head light. If it turns on, then you are probably low on gas and you just need freon. Also, for some reason Accords in SC for notorious for expansion valve problems and random leaks due to switching to R134a. If you gas it up, make sure to put die in first so that you can find the leak in the future if thats whats happening. If you lose freon over the summer, start looking for the dye and fix whatever is leaking. I just installed a/c in my CB and all new o rings were installed along with receiver drier and fresh PAG46. Now if you think you are still running R12 in your system (you will know if you have the R134a fitting attached to the line) then I would try to get my hands on some R414B (Icor Hotshot) because it very closely mirrors R12 and you won't have to change the oil in the compressor. Not to mention my CB damn near blows snow out the vents and it was close to 100 today AND my condenser fan was broken. If you use Hotshot, you will need approximately 1lb 9 ozs of it.

But alternatively, if you want to be good on a/c tools, you will need to invest in at least a freon can tap if you aren't using a 25lb jug like me. Before you put freon in the system, you will need to pull a vacuum on it for at least 15 minutes and see if it will hold the vacuum. Again, you can rent most of this stuff from the parts store OR find a friend who does a/c work. Having somebody with a HVAC work truck and can spare you a couple lbs of freon, that always works awesome!! Then use their leak sniffer and see if you can find a leak somewhere.

Comment

Well I still can't check the pressure or anything, but I pulled my dash apart and messed with the control unit. I guess the plug to the switch was a little pulled out. So my switch definitely works now, the light comes on, and so does the compressor.

It's a lot colder now, but compared to what it was, that still means nothing. So, I guess I need a recharge.

Comment

Well now its time to check if your system it still r12 or if someone converted it to r134a

Comment

Originally posted by Tippey764 View Post
              Well now its time to check if your system it still r12 or if someone converted it to r134a
              I don't know how to tell, but I would bet that it hasn't been converted. I'm not going back out there again tonight.

Comment

you can tell if its ben converted by the poarts. post a picture of one of your poarts.
                just to test I would hook a 12v wire up to the compressor and see if your a/c works . If so then you know its electrical
                Last edited by thepowderblue; 05-25-2011, 12:47 AM.
                Green EX http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=176536
                93 SE http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210486

Comment

Originally posted by thepowderblue View Post
                  just to test I would hook a 12v wire up to the compressor and see if your a/c words . If so then you know its electrical.
                  What?

Comment

to keep your compressor on. It will let you know if its electrical and you are low or high on freon.the hplp switch might be shutting it down due to low or high psi.It could also have a short in the wiring that might make it turn off and on.
                    post a pic of the poarts.
                    Last edited by thepowderblue; 05-25-2011, 12:51 AM.

Comment

What he means is take a picture of the high pressure and low pressure line fittings

Comment

just one at least.

Comment

If you aren't familiar with fittings, a system PROPERLY converted to R134a (I emphasize properly, because mine was converted in the past and done cheaply, boo) will have fittings like those on the right side of this picture:

For example, there are two fittings, a high and a low side. The low side fitting is located near the radiator cap connected to a metal line. Generally, if your system was converted, there may be a blue screw-on cap on the fitting with an L on the top. The high side fitting is located towards the back left of the engine compartment and down (standing facing the car, near the fuse box and passenger suspension).

Think of it this way: R12 fittings look kind of like tire valves, with threads.
                          1991 HONDA ACCORD EX COUPE
                          2014 Volvo XC70 T6 AWD ----- 2000 Honda Odyssey LX
                          2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S ------ 1994 Toyota Corolla DX
                          2001 Subaru Outback --------- 1990 Infiniti M30

Comment

Originally posted by markj View Post
                            If you aren't familiar with fittings, a system PROPERLY converted to R134a (I emphasize properly, because mine was converted in the past and done cheaply, boo) will have fittings like those on the right side of this picture:

For example, there are two fittings, a high and a low side. The low side fitting is located near the radiator cap connected to a metal line. Generally, if your system was converted, there may be a blue screw-on cap on the fitting with an L on the top. The high side fitting is located towards the back left of the engine compartment and down (standing facing the car, near the fuse box and passenger suspension).

Think of it this way: R12 fittings look kind of like tire valves, with threads.
                            Thanks man. I'll get to it when I can.

What does a conversion entail? Do you just have to install new fittings, or the lines too?

Comment

You install new fitting onto the old ones and if you do a proper job you change all the seals as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X