Tail lights, but no brake lights....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tail lights, but no brake lights....

Alright. Today, I just changed my main relay, i just changed the ignition solenoid, and added a lx model rear wing with a light. A classy touch.lol The relay went bad, and me trying to start the car killed the ignition. The car starts and runs fine now. I installed the wing on saturday.

The problem is now i have no brake lights. The tail lights and head lights work fine. Im going to check again but i didnt see any blown fuses. I spliced the wing into the left brake lines on the tunk lid. Im an electritian by trade so i did it clean with connectors then a lil tape. I checked that and theres no burn marks or anything. I dont think it would overload the circuit. The lights worked for a few days now after today nothing.

The strange part is that the nuetral saftey switch is engaged. I have auto. So obviously cant shift. But if i turn on the headlights it will click off and let me shift. Can someone en-lighten me(haha) on this. Has anyone seen this before. Or know if its something serious not just a fuse i missed.

Please help. Thanks
    Last edited by Rayz91; 07-06-2011, 08:26 PM.

"Good judgement comes from experience,
    alot of that comes from bad judgment"

you pulled the brake switch out when you did your MR. its above the brake pedal and should be 3-4 pins. check that first.
    COUPE K24

Comment

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
      you pulled the brake switch out when you did your MR. its above the brake pedal and should be 3-4 pins. check that first.
      I popped under there this morning before work and didnt see anything loose or unpluged. I pushed on all of the connectors under there and still nothing.......

Comment

I bet it's your brake switch. Try wiggling it and or readjust it only thing I can think of if you checked every thing else.

STANCE|WORKS

Comment

Also, where the brake switch gets pushed in, there should be a puck of plastic that actually depresses the switch. If its not there, then just put a bolt and washer through the hole that the puck used to occupy. Hopefully, that fixes it!
          Project wagon! Much excite! 2018!

That Sedan. Purchased '07-->Swap'd-->Tuck'd-->Wreck'd-->May '16

Comment

I'll chip in with one bit of advice. I had a similar problem (my brake lights worked intermittently) and went as far as replacing my brake switch. Outraged that it still didn't work after replacing the switch, I rechecked my fuses for the hundredth time - this time with a test light. The HORN STOP fuse was blown according to the test light, so I took a look. The fuse had a hairline crack; it went completely unnoticed when I manually took it out and checked out visually.

I hope this helps.
            Original-Owner 1991 Honda Accord
            2005 Acura TSX 6MT
            2010 Mazda Miata Grand Touring

Comment

Originally posted by LadyG View Post
              Also, where the brake switch gets pushed in, there should be a puck of plastic that actually depresses the switch. If its not there, then just put a bolt and washer through the hole that the puck used to occupy. Hopefully, that fixes it!

Ok. Thats helpful. When i get home today i will look at that. Is it possible for that switch to go bad?

Comment

Yes. If you press it in manually, and the black plunger in it does not come back up when you let go...Your break switch is bad. However, that puck commonly breaks/falls out. Update when you check it.
                Project wagon! Much excite! 2018!

That Sedan. Purchased '07-->Swap'd-->Tuck'd-->Wreck'd-->May '16

Comment

Originally posted by LadyG View Post
                  Yes. If you press it in manually, and the black plunger in it does not come back up when you let go...Your break switch is bad. However, that puck commonly breaks/falls out. Update when you check it.
                  Although, to clarify, if that piece is broken, your brake lights stay ON and wont turn off, not the other way around.

My guess is like stated, check the horn fuse. It's actually a dual brake/horn fuse. the brake switch, horn, and EFI all share that circuit. with all the brake lights COMPLETELY being out (vs one side, which would probably be the brake sensor) the best guess is either the brake switch itself being bad, or something in that same circuit popping the fuse.

Bought from: TypeG,mak,CB7_ACCORD,ChampCoupe,Blackex
                  Traded with: Cb7xChun
                  Sold to: Rob_is_legend,DaddyO,daheavyking
                  Sedan MR Thread Coupe MR Thread Prelude Si MR Thread
                  My huge For Sale Thread

Comment

Word... Im dumb. That horn fuse makes sense. I had my stearing wheel apart and was playin with the wire for the horn touching the metal to make it beep.

Ill update what i find a little later im on my way back to my shop.

Comment

Originally posted by darkfusion42 View Post
                      Although, to clarify, if that piece is broken, your brake lights stay ON and wont turn off, not the other way around.

My guess is like stated, check the horn fuse. It's actually a dual brake/horn fuse. the brake switch, horn, and EFI all share that circuit. with all the brake lights COMPLETELY being out (vs one side, which would probably be the brake sensor) the best guess is either the brake switch itself being bad, or something in that same circuit popping the fuse.

I found it. You were dead right. I guess i didnt check the horn fuse. I was rushing lastnight. Im all good to go.

Thanks guys and ladyg.

Once again you saved me from scratching my head and sweating my ass off.

Comment

Working...
                      X