How difficult is it to rebuild tranny?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How difficult is it to rebuild tranny?

Earlier tonight, I think my 5th gear is getting really bad, made a violent popout and when I went to put it back in, it felt like something was straining inside the transmission. So I'll need to rebuild it ASAP. I've got a week off next week so i was going to try it then.

Are there any special tools required to take apart the tranny case? I know I can manage removing the tranny from the engine but its just the rebuild I'm iffy on.

couldn't find a DIY on here

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

From what I've heard to do it properly, it's a good amount of work that requires shims, very precise measurements, etc. Most people just find another used transmission in good shape to keep things simple, but since you're running a prelude transmission with LSD it will probably be hard to find one close by.

Can you order another transmission from HMO and just swap that in? Or what about finding another standard prelude transmission in good shape, then add your own LSD from Quaife or somebody else?

Off topic, but did you get your moms O2 sensors replaced in her yota?

Comment

Originally posted by s2cmpugh View Post
      From what I've heard to do it properly, it's a good amount of work that requires shims, very precise measurements, etc. Most people just find another used transmission in good shape to keep things simple, but since you're running a prelude transmission with LSD it will probably be hard to find one close by.

Can you order another transmission from HMO and just swap that in? Or what about finding another standard prelude transmission in good shape, then add your own LSD from Quaife or somebody else?

Off topic, but did you get your moms O2 sensors replaced in her yota?
      see thats what I don't want to go through again. I purchased a "low mileage" 45k mile tranny from an importer on the west coast 2 yrs ago. A month after I bought it, 5th gear started grinding. There went 700 bucks plus labor to install it. So now I have to do it again? and risk it grinding on whatever new tranny I get?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Yeah i replaced those O2s in the minivan, but a month later the damn lights came back again. So I figured it had to be something else, and since the sparkplugs were original with over 190k on them, I replaced all 6 iridiums and it seems to be working, no more lights with over 3k miles now

member's ride thread
      91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

i saved two f22 5th gear sets in case you wanted to swap? ive pulled apart cases but i never put them back together. you may need a press for one of the shafts. the other shaft is a slip fit with a locknut at the end.
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
          i saved two f22 5th gear sets in case you wanted to swap? ive pulled apart cases but i never put them back together. you may need a press for one of the shafts. the other shaft is a slip fit with a locknut at the end.
          yeah i was thinking about replacing it with a F22 5th for better mileage. I'll PM you about it.

member's ride thread
          91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

With time, the proper tools, and a rebuild manual, not hard at all for a mechanical engineer.

Have I ever done it? No. I've had crash course in it when I was at Ferrari. The shop foreman took apart and changed the synchros on an Afla Spyder's transmission.

It's something I think can be done very effectively with the proper patience and time.
            The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Success View Post
              With time, the proper tools, and a rebuild manual, not hard at all for a mechanical engineer.

Have I ever done it? No. I've had crash course in it when I was at Ferrari. The shop foreman took apart and changed the synchros on an Afla Spyder's transmission.

It's something I think can be done very effectively with the proper patience and time.
              Well I have a week next week off from school and I have a DD Accord so I can afford to take my time. And the weather's nice.

member's ride thread
              91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Yeah I'd be pissed too after buying a low mileage transmission only to have it start grinding. Are the M2B4 transmissions known to have this issue?

I didn't know F22 gear sets fit and worked inside an H22 transmission. Is it possible to use 1-4 from the h22, then use only the 5th gear from an f22 to help save gas on the highway?

Glad your moms car seems to be good now!

Comment

Originally posted by s2cmpugh View Post
                  Yeah I'd be pissed too after buying a low mileage transmission only to have it start grinding. Are the M2B4 transmissions known to have this issue?

I didn't know F22 gear sets fit and worked inside an H22 transmission. Is it possible to use 1-4 from the h22, then use only the 5th gear from an f22 to help save gas on the highway?

Glad your moms car seems to be good now!
                  yeah I guess they have a known issue with 5th grinding, or rather common. Sucks that I could've replaced all this shit before I swapped it in back in 2010.

But yes, an F22 5th works in it. I'm considering doing it now since my 5th gear is probably chipped/worn out anyways. Might even be cheaper than an H22 5th gear

member's ride thread
                  91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

^The F22 5th will work but I believe it has to be machined down to fit. There's alot of good info over on honda tech.

Comment

Ive never messed with a honda tranny but from what i know manual trans arent too difficult to rebuild. Just keep everything organized and it shouldnt be a big deal.

Comment

I sense a DIY coming

Comment

Originally posted by BurtonRiderT6 View Post
                          I sense a DIY coming
                          yeah I might do one swapping in an F22 5th. Or at least let everyone know whats involved.

member's ride thread
                          91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                            yeah I might do one swapping in an F22 5th. Or at least let everyone know whats involved.
                            That would be fantastic if you don't mind!

Where are you going to order your parts from and have you found a shop manual or anything to help?

Comment

I just got a free f22a1 trans last night that ill be swapping out my original one with 355k for

I may just tear into my old one and rebuild it

8 Accords so far:
                              '81 SE Sedan(1st Gen), '83 SE Sedan(2nd Gen), '89 SE Sedan(3rd Gen)
                              '89 DX Sedan(3rd Gen), '92 LX Coupe(4th Gen), '92 EX Wagon(4th Gen)
                              (3rd gen parts car) I'm currently Driving a '14 Accord Sport 9th Gen

Comment

Working...
                              X