reverse grinds, help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

reverse grinds, help

ok i have a 91 auto ex, and when i go into reverse, it grinds like crazy. what could it be? my stepdad said it could be linkage, but he isnt sure. and if it is linkage, what do i need to do to fix it
    for sale
    sony 430 watt 3/2/1/ channel amp
    sparkomatic 60 watt eq

anyone?help!
    for sale
    sparkomatic 60 watt eq

Comment

theres a couple of things you can do okay 1)its noisey in one particular gear so not to scare you up but uhhhh it could be a)damaged or worn synchronizers, b)damaged or worn constant mesh gears, c) a bent reverse shift fork, c)damaged fourth speed gear or output gear d)worn or damaged reverse idler gear or idler bushing.

Or last but not least it could be that maybe your not shifting properly or dont have enough fluid in the system or maybe it has air in the system . You can try rebleeding it which i wouldnt do. Or check and make sure the shift linkages arent binding.

Or you can just change tranny fluids to GM Synchromesh and see if it helps a bit. I think its your synchro for reverse. do you wait until the car stops fully b4 you put it into reverse?

Comment

H22Sparkle: he's in an auto. They don't use synchro's and the like... and if he's improperly shifting then he shouldn't have a license, an automatic car is pretty self-explanatory: but I doubt he's doing it wrong.

Comment

^good point^thanks alot bro, at least i wont look stupid for not knowing how to drive a auto
          for sale
          sparkomatic 60 watt eq

Comment

whoops i thought he had a 5-speed sorry

Comment

mmmmmmmmmmm you know i just got done swapping my transmission because it was grinding..

how have you been driving it? Do yo go from 1-2-d3-d4?

Also do you place it in neutral, press the gas and drop it in drive?

Do you have a shiftknob on it, and accidently placed it in reverse while driving?

If your car can go forward but can't reverse..

Then I hate to say it.. but theres a big chance that your transmission has died on you. I really did learn from this mistake and luckily i got a transmission of a guy importing F22's from japan for $150.. i must say the task overall isn't THAT hard.. but its time consuming.. if you want to convert to a 5 spd, just sell that and buy a 5 speed.. but yeah man.. i went through that recently.. and it was my tranny going out.. have a tech look at it to be sure...

http://www.FLAccords.com

Comment

Originally posted by FDAccord

how have you been driving it? Do yo go from 1-2-d3-d4?

I do that sometimes... is that bad?
                Seattle Silver crew #5
                Member of the Midwest Car Club.
                ..........2004 accord ex v6 - J30A4.......................... 91 accord ex - JDM H22A -- Long gone...

Comment

not unless you're toeing something.. i know a guy with a prelude, and he went to a test and tune event at the track. He tried running it 1-2-d3-d4 and then running it from d4 and it was slightly faster staying in "D4"

http://www.FLAccords.com

Comment

hmm thats intresting.. i'll have to keep that in mind.. thanks for the info
                    Seattle Silver crew #5
                    Member of the Midwest Car Club.
                    ..........2004 accord ex v6 - J30A4.......................... 91 accord ex - JDM H22A -- Long gone...

Comment

Working...
                    X