WTF! timming belt shredded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF! timming belt shredded

anyone know what could of caused this.i painted my valve cover about 1k miles ago and my timing belt looked good.and i was going to re-paint it again and i find this.ruined my whole weekend

Did it not sound funny at all running?

Slamage is worth the Damage

Originally posted by crazymikey
    "Yes, we did officer. By the way, your eyes look a little glazed, did you just come from the donut shop?"

Comment

no

Comment

Check your tensioner. Go buy a new belt and put it on. While you're doing that check everything... After you have it on start it without the plastic covers on it and watch it to see if it's rubbing anything.

"Yes, we did officer. By the way, your eyes look a little glazed, did you just come from the donut shop?"

Comment

Originally posted by Hondalover View Post
          Check your tensioner. Go buy a new belt and put it on. While you're doing that check everything... After you have it on start it without the plastic covers on it and watch it to see if it's rubbing anything.
          Why would you leave them off? So you can go thru the hassle of pulling off the crank pulley AGAIN, just to put the lower timing cover back on? Your crazy....and high.
          Originally posted by Mishakol129
          Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

That's just what I'd do. If you have a better alternative then let us know kind sir.

Comment

i noticed the valave cover had some black marks like the belt was rubbing on the top

Comment

I know this is silly... but you didn't leave any of the grommets off that go under the valve cover nuts did you? I don't know what else would cause that?

Comment

That's just what I'd do. If you have a better alternative then let us know kind sir.
                  I thought my idea was fairly apparent in my last post. Why would he pull the crank pulley AGAIN to take off the timing cover, to put it back on so he can start his car and look for rubbing? Only to pull the pulley AGAIN to put the timing cover back on? When it would be much simpler to rotate the engine by hand and listen....

Originally posted by 90CB7EURO View Post
                  i noticed the valave cover had some black marks like the belt was rubbing on the top
                  That shouldn't happen, are you using a valve cover gasket? Another place to look is under the timing cog on the crank, something might have fallen down there while you had the valve cover off, and rubbing on the belt.

Comment

Sounds like it was rubbing on the vc from the way you described it. Make sure the vc is lined up and bolted on the right way.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189897 MRT
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...09#post3003309 EF hatch build

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
                      I thought my idea was fairly apparent in my last post. Why would he pull the crank pulley AGAIN to take off the timing cover, to put it back on so he can start his car and look for rubbing? Only to pull the pulley AGAIN to put the timing cover back on? When it would be much simpler to rotate the engine by hand and listen....
                      Never knew it was so hard to un bolt the crank pulley... lol. Thanks for the advice now though. Before it was just criticism.

Comment

Never knew it was so hard to un bolt the crank pulley... lol. Thanks for the advice now though. Before it was just criticism.
                        Have you ever pulled the crank bolt? It's not fun, not one bit. Now if your in a shop, it's not as bad.

Comment

That shouldn't happen, are you using a valve cover gasket? Another place to look is under the timing cog on the crank, something might have fallen down there while you had the valve cover off, and rubbing on the belt.
                          yeah im using a gasket.im going to ckeck tommorow,and see what i find

Comment

Have you ever pulled the crank bolt? It's not fun, not one bit. Now if your in a shop, it's not as bad.
                            its easy to pull it off if you have the key that fits in it. used it couple of times
                            with the key and they are pretty tight lol.

Comment

Originally posted by S.W.A.T View Post
                              its easy to pull it off if you have the key that fits in it. used it couple of times
                              with the key and they are pretty tight lol.

Regardless, breaking loose the bolt can snap breaker bars, seen it and have done it. It's still not fun.

Comment

Working...
                              X