Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing, repairing, replacing exhaust baffles

First, 2000 words:

Second: Vehicle is a 1991 Accord LX Coupe w/ H2A5 trans, and the cat has been [shittily] replace with a straight pipe.

Both of those baffles, the "floor heat baffle plate" and the "tank baffle plate" and are rusted out completely right there. If I had the exhaust off, I could probably straight rip those bolts out by hand. I'm trying to diagnose a front end suspension/steering noise, and the rattling exhaust isn't helping. Further, it appears there is a hanger on that bend, but no complementary hook on the body is to be found; does anyone know what's up with that?

I've read that I can remove these baffles without worry, so long as the exhaust is sufficiently mounted (mine is clearly not...) and maintains a good air gap with everything. But, as mentioned, my exhaust is not mounted well at all (but that just means the air gap is even bigger than it would be), and further, the cat has been deleted and I haven't had a chance to change it back since I've owned it. Would the lack of a cat cause concern for increased heat? Could I temporarily remove these shields, perhaps repair them, and then reinstall them at a later date, while driving without them for some time?

Thanks much!

^take them all off and chuck 'em!!! I've removed all of them on both my CB's, both did not have cats either. Not a single issue for over 6 years. Plus it makes good access to the shift and ebrake cables. They're so ugly and usually look like swiss cheese from rust.

I'm also trying to figure what hanger you are talking about. The one by the flexpipe up front? That attaches to a hanger that's part of the engine cross beam. This runs under the oil pan and connects the front and rear crossmembers.
    Last edited by Granite CB7; 11-02-2012, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Baffles? Do you mean heat shields? When you say baffles I think for the baffles inside of the stock muffler.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7 View Post
        ^take them all off and chuck 'em!!! I've removed all of them on both my CB's, both did not have cats either. Not a single issue for over 6 years. Plus it makes good access to the shift and ebrake cables. They're so ugly and usually look like swiss cheese from rust.

I'm also trying to figure what hanger you are talking about. The one by the flexpipe up front? That attaches to a hanger that's part of the engine cross beam. This runs under the oil pan and connects the front and rear crossmembers.
        They're so ugly?

They're under the car... you can't even see them.

Comment

^um yeah, if you're going for an all out cp_mike style underbody, then yes, they're wicked ugly.

Comment

Good to know that taking them off wont hurt anything. I have one that rattles and was wondering if i could just take it off.

Comment

^um yeah, if you're going for an all out cp_mike style underbody, then yes, they're wicked ugly.
              I agree. I think its cool watching people look at what all I have done to my car when they put it on the lift at a shop.

IMO when someone working on your car sees a heap of shit they might think that you dont really care much about your car and do a shitty job. If they see a car that looks like someone cares they might do a better job knowing that the owner cares about the quality of work done.

Comment

Glad to hear it, thanks!

The pictures are actually of the same spot, just slightly different angles. The hanger I'm referring to is shown here, and is right by the rusted bolts by the flex pipe behind the resonator. Lower left hand side is toward front of vehicle, and upper right is toward rear.

I have no idea what the previous owner did to create this frankenxhaust...

Originally posted by vh22accord View Post
                Baffles? Do you mean heat shields? When you say baffles I think for the baffles inside of the stock muffler.
                I wasn't sure what to call them, so I called them what Honda did. Honda only lists one of the baffles as being for heat shielding, so presumably the others are simply for protection from physical contact. Who knows. Anyway, yes, I mean those things that you thought I meant, .

Comment

Working...
                X