Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

93 Accord 5 Speed - Tranny Fluid Change Question (?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

93 Accord 5 Speed - Tranny Fluid Change Question (?)

Okay so I have no idea when the last time the fluids were changed. However everything looks good and topped off except for my tranny fluid.

I remember when I had my 90 EX, it was an auto and the dipstick was on the left side of the engine bay.

I noticed that the MT/5 speeds don't have a dipstick. Also read that to check I would have to look at the drainage bolt?

I know where the bolt is, but how do I refill the damn thing? And it takes 2.5qt correct?

remove reverse light switch and fill.
    COUPE K24

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=63046

Make sure you can open the fill before opening the drain, just in case it is seized.

Capacity is 2.1 quarts. Buy 3 bottles and return the 3rd if you don't need it.

I also recommend one of these:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...ools_9016678-p

Makes filling the trans real easy!
      Last edited by mtnbikaah; 03-19-2013, 09:14 PM.
      Originally posted by deevergote
      These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbikaah View Post

Make sure you can open the fill before opening the drain, just in case it is seized.

Can this be done without raising my car? Stupid question maybe, but it'll be my first time performing this on a MT accord. The pictures in the thread also look liked the car was sitting on the ground.

I am going to stop by Honda tomorrow and buy 2 quarts and do it after work.

Comment

when i did mine i made a home made funel with a long tube. remove the bolt drained the old fluid, put the funel in and added the new fluid. You just have to be fast when you remove the funel to put the bolt back on so you dont lose much fluid.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194049

Comment

It'll be a tight fit under the vehicle if you're lowered, but yeah, it can be done on the ground (though again, it won't be easy).

The procedure is simple: make sure the vehicle is level, remove the fill bolt, remove the drain bolt, wait for the fluid to drain, replace the drain bolt/washer, fill through the fill hole until it won't take any more fluid, replace fill bolt/washer.

Comment

Its much easier to jack er up and take the front right tire off. I ran a long nosed funnel , filled her from the top until it ran out. If you dont mind using some extra oil , i recommend running new oil through until new oil comes out.

Comment

To get the proper amount of MTF it should be on the ground (the car should be level. Although I don't know how to achieve that if you are lowered.... maybe all four corners on jackstands?
                These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

Comment

I use floor jack.

Once right front tire is removed you can lower the car to simulate the ride height. Make sure to have 4x4 or something under the body to keep it safe from the jack failure.

Much less hassle than having 4 jack stands under the car.
                  A&P-IA

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbikaah View Post

Is it 2.1? I thought it was 1.8... unless the H22 transmission holds less...

Regardless, I've always just dumped in 2 quarts and it was fine. I figured the bit of spillage that occurred kept it down to the 1.8 that I believed I needed (not to mention the fact that you can never drain 100% of the fluid out of the transmission unless you take it apart.)

Comment

IIRC, it's 2.5 dry, and 2.1 for drain/refill.

I could be wrong though. At my parents house we buy MTF by the case because we have 5 cars that use it.

Comment

The manual I have says 2.0 US qt for oil change.
                        2.1 US qt for overhaul.
                        A&P-IA

Comment

It doesn't much matter what the capacity is. When filling via the fill hole you fill it until it comes out. ~2 Quarts, give of take.

Comment

Some one was suggesting wrong hole for filling, which could give wrong amount of oil if it was filled to overflow thru there. It will be essential to know exact amount of oil you need to fill when this method is used.

Otherwise, fill till overflow from THE filler hole for proper level of oil.
                            A&P-IA

Comment

Anybody know off hand what the bolt length, size, and thread is for the fill and drain bolts?
                              '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

Working...
                              X