Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A/C questions! Does a cd5 r134 compressor work better for a retrofit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A/C questions! Does a cd5 r134 compressor work better for a retrofit?

Hey everyone, I went to get my a/c charged on my already "retrofitted" Accord and was told that there is a hole in my condenser, and my compressor is leaking. Either way, I will be filling my Accord with r134a, as I purchased a voucher for it.

It's getting hot and I want the COLDEST A/C possible, without using r12. I've owned a few cbs, and only one had an absolutely amazing A/C. I know it's possible. The others were pitiful, even after being recently serviced.

So, my question is, will I achieve colder vent temperatures by using the cd5's A/C compressor? CD5s came factory equipped with r134, so does this mean that the compressor will handle r134 better, or will cleaning out the oil and using a cb compressor work just as effectively? I'm not sure if there are any differences internally between the two..

From what I have read, the fittings on the top for the high and low side to the compressor may be different, but you can swap the top plate so that I can keep my current lines with that compressor.

But, what if it were possible to carry over most, if not the whole a/c system from the cd5 over? I spent lots of time in the junk yard inspecting it and the compressor looks to be the same, but the condenser is very very different.

Also, there's a thread on here that mentions adjusting your expansion valve with a hex! What's the best possible way to get the best temperatures?

I was thinking a cd5 compressor with either a cd5 high pressure line, or a cd5 compressor with a cb top plate and existing lines, with the cd's expansion valve and seeing if it's possible to swap in the cd condenser? Doesn't this effectively make this entirely a cd5 r134 full system then?!

Of course, the dryer will be changed as well.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Last edited by jay92889; 05-17-2013, 12:43 AM.

There were both Hadsys and Denso compressors for each generation so please specify what you have. I my experience with a Hadsys, I'm running a compressor out of a '94 Accord EX that had a Hadsys RC17D. My Accord came with a Hadsys RC17S. The only difference was the end cap and how a line attached to it and an extra rib on the pulley of the newer one. I got this one because my compressor had "Black Death", not because I wanted to upgrade. It isn't an upgrade.

Your best bet, should you want to go through the trouble, would be to put a '98-'02 condenser in the car. Custom lines would have to be made. That design is much better than the one in the car right now.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Other thing to consider when trying to get A/C blow cold air is heater valve.
      My heater valve was in closed position but allowing hot coolant to flow through, heating up the heater core. This made A/C blow not so cold air.

After changing the valve, A/C is blowing noticeably colder air than before.
      A&P-IA

Comment

Working...
      X