Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

5 Speed trans acts like its in neutral...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5 Speed trans acts like its in neutral...

I GOT A FREE CB7! Aside from the towing expenses.. But I went and got it from this guy and he said the transmission acted like it was in neutral after he shifted into 5th. I can shift it through 1st-5th and reverse no problem but it doesn't move in any gear. It's not too big of an issue since I have a trans ready to drop in, I'm just wanting to know what could be wrong with this one. Thanks.

JDM powered CB7

gear selector linkage isnt actually changing anything on transmission?

Comment

We jacked the front up, rotated the wheels forward until they were spinning a good bit and threw it in reverse and it grinded and the wheels stopped so I guess that's all good? I saw on youtube where ericthecarguy diagnosed a blown clutch and that's exactly what this car does except it doesn't choke down.

JDM powered CB7

Comment

could very well be then, umm maybe try rolling it and pop the clutch and see if it starts..that exhausts my manual knowledge since i run a slushbox..sorry man but sounds like youre on the right track anyway..only other bet is when you pull the trans and can take a look. dude probably had a worn clutch and burned it out. Give it a day im sure some other people will chime in. good luck.

Comment

If I just got a free cb due to a clutch.. haha, but thanks!

JDM powered CB7

Comment

I'll take the "bad" tranny off your hands

Did you try jacking it up and letting the wheels spin from the engine or did you manual turn the wheel?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

We manually turned the wheels, we tried the engine and it wouldn't move them an inch. /: He said he had a new clutch put in not too long before but I'm still thinking it's the clutch or related to it. /:

JDM powered CB7

Comment

Could this possibly be a broken axle?

Maybe the inner cv joint broke. Long shot.

steve

Comment

None of the axles move, when we spin one wheel the other wheel goes the opposite way. If we push the right wheel forward the left wheel goes back.

JDM powered CB7

Comment

Originally posted by Flushcb View Post
                    None of the axles move, when we spin one wheel the other wheel goes the opposite way. If we push the right wheel forward the left wheel goes back.
                    thats normal in an open differential

Comment

Is there any oil leaking in that area? Oil combined with heat can crack the flywheel and/or burn up the clutch.

If not, I'd have to say the issue is internal to the transmission.
                      '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                      If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Okay good, and I don't see any oil leaks, only leak is on the timing side, which will be fixed when the timing kit comes in. I'm still waiting to take the transmission off so I'll be able to see if it's the flywheel, clutch, fork, pressure plate, or anything to do with engaging the clutch.

JDM powered CB7

Comment

I had this happen to me in a civic 5 speed. It was stuck in fifth all the way home from work and when I got home I managed to get it out of fifth. It stayed in neutral no matter which gear I tried to put it in. I don't know exactly what broke but I had to put a new transmission in. I feel like if it where your clutch the wheels would move a little bit.
                          ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Then it's most likely the transmission. I'll put the spare one on and see if it fixes it. If so I'll probaby take the broke one and see if it can be fixed for under $500-ish

JDM powered CB7

Comment

Sorry to bring this thing back to life but the "new" trans has the same problem. One wheel turns but the other doesn't, and we put the old one back on and same thing. Before both wheels turned in opposite directions.

JDM powered CB7

Comment

Working...
                              X