X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does my transmission need service

hey everyone
    Last weekend (friday night) I bought a 92 Manual coupe

I have a manual transmission (stick, 5 speed )

when I start the car I have to push the clutch to the floor. then I put it into first which goes in sorta easy and pull my revs up and it shakes violently for a sec then goes forward as I pull to second I again go to the floor but this time its a sorta pull then it goes in like a pop type feel but no sound. going into third is a little bit of a push but third to fourth is smooth and fourth to fifth is smooth.

Reverse I sometimes cant get completely into unless im actually listening for the reverse click sound....

My upper clutch resivor is full and the transmission makes no odd noises. only real thing is the hard pull into second and the pushing the clutch to the floor that interest me. I'm trying to see if I need to order some new parts or just make some adjustments to the system any info is greatly appreciated

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
    Do it once, do it right.
    Saving a dollar is not worth risking a life.
    Missing My
    White -91 LX Sedan - leather converted
    Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

check the slave cylinder for leaks inside the boot and replace, they're 8 bucks at Autozone.

Or check the clutch master cylinder for leaks inside the driver footwell area and replace that if its leaking bad.

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

update I went and checked out all the componets under the dash and they all seem to be fine. went and ajusted my clutch trigger thing and the cylinder peice I can now grab each gear about as tall as the foot rest. I am guessing thats right there? seems a lot better than the floor but do you really have to go to the floor to start the car?

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
      Do it once, do it right.
      Saving a dollar is not worth risking a life.
      Missing My
      White -91 LX Sedan - leather converted
      Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

Yes, there is a clutch interlock switch at the top of the clutch pedal for safety reasons to never allow you to start the car in gear or in neutral. And depending on how the switch is adjusted determines how far will you will have to push the clutch in for the top of the pedal to push the button in. The button fell out of the top of my switch and I cannot get it back in and now my switch is jumped so I can start the car.

It sounds like if I read your post right that your friction point might be too low if it is disengaging at the foot rest. It should be a firm pedal and adjusted in accordance with the manual. Have you changed the trans fluid lately?
        Last edited by GreenBee; 07-17-2014, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Check for leaking around the clutch damper. I recently replaced my entire line with a SS line and its a world of difference.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
          X