okay so, can anyone help with my head studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

okay so, can anyone help with my head studs

I got a h23block with h22 head and I started to install my arp studs. But when I have the gasket and head on the block, I hand start the stud til it stops and it doesnt leave me enough meat on the stud to slap on the washer and bolt.. what am I doing wrong?

It sounds like you have the wrong studs. Do you have one that's longer than the others?
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Yes I do have one stud that is longer than the others. And the labeling on the arp box indicates h23a

Comment

dont you need H22 head studs to go with the H22 head?

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

He does. The stud are head studs, not block studs. OP, if you bought them new from a retail site or location, try to exchange them for H22A studs. If not, you'll need to find some H22A head studs and try to sell these.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Would have figured.. the associate over at arp say that the one longer stud is same lenghth as the h22 studs. But does me no purpose cuz I have 23 studs..

Comment

Getting my new set of arp studs today and just out of curiosity, do I first tq the studs then slap down the washer and bolt with the arp lube and tq the bolts?

Comment

Originally posted by H22/23cb7 View Post
                Getting my new set of arp studs today and just out of curiosity, do I first tq the studs then slap down the washer and bolt with the arp lube and tq the bolts?

you install them into the block "hand tight", I used a hand ratchet and allen head socket. I also put a little film of the arp lube on the threads, after I used an old head bolt with a slot cut in it to chase the threads and clean them. brake cleaner and a blast of air. I also cleaned each stud with lacquer thinner to clean the cosmoline off them.

once theyre in there, i placed the head gasket on and made sure it was all the way down and flush with the block. Then I put the head on with the complete intake already attached. Then you put arp lube on the threads,both sides of the washers and drop them on, then the bottom of the nut. A 12 point 14mm socket is used, and torqued them to *ARP's* specs in 3 successions 30-60-90 in the honda torquing order.
                Last edited by illinois_erik; 03-24-2015, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Cool thanks alot bro!!

Comment

Originally posted by H22/23cb7 View Post
                    Cool thanks alot bro!!
                    youre welcome, good luck. take your time and it should be cake.

Comment

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
                      youre welcome, good luck. take your time and it should be cake.
                      Oh yeah, take it step by step. Not a big fan of rushing things but I catch myself double checking a double check. Haha

Comment

Working...
                      X