Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need opinions on my engine and many more suggestions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need opinions on my engine and many more suggestions..

Hello All, all fellow CB7s and what not.

I have joined this site a long while. I started joining, not knowing anything, or having any knowledge of doing the simplest things, except oil change? I try hard to learn.

I have done a lot of maintenance that I can in my power, financial wise and what not, to keep this car. I've found out that I LOVE THIS CAR more than anything.. Yes it may be old, but it was my first car that I learned to drive, and has more than just a sentimental and monetary value.

Anyhow, I've done a lot of things, yet, the next project I plan to do is fix this problem, I've discovered. My car has 83k, and I've discovered some leak in the valve cover and what not. Here are some pics. What I want to do, is clean out the engine slowly over time to remove deposits, replace and fix any leaks, gaskets that I can.

I've done mostly the basics, like radiator (discovered alot already doing that), oil changes, spark plug, p/s. Generally my cb7 has been problem free cept 2 major points A/C and motor mounts.

I notice that I may loose motor oil over time (not weekly, mabye every 1 1/2 months or so?) I think my oil seeps through the old rubber gaskets and etc..What exactly will I need? or do to fix the problem. As you can see, oil is seeping through the nutz on the valve cover as well as through the gaskets.

Sorry it is long, but I'll try address each and everything I can.

*To recap. I want to make my engine cleaner and fix the leakly areas that'll worsen over time. I don't have much tools, so i'd like to know what exactly i can do and etc. etc..

Thanks very much guys..

Here are some pics:

Last edited by FishyMan; 08-16-2005, 02:50 PM.
    hahahahah

Look like the valve cover gasket need to be replaced .All you need is a 10 or 12mm socket i can't remember the size, it's not hard to do just remove the gasket on the cover and the seals that go around the spark plugs and put the new ones on just make sure you line up the seals on the spark plug tube in the cover and put the new rubber peaces on the nuts.

Comment

yeah like he said... that is definetly not a serious problem, i had the same thing happen to me... just go and buy a valve cover gasket, mine was like 20 some bucks from autozone

Comment

okay. i can probably do the valve cover gasket, and upper seals. however, as i recall the felpro kit from checkers also comes w/ the lower tube seals.

do you think i can get away with just doing the upper seals and gasket?? and do the lower later on? also, people have said they SHOULD or SHOULD NOT use sealant.

what would be good to remove the oil and clean things up? simple green?

thanks very much for the responses.
        hahahahah

Comment

Yep, you have all the classic F22A oil leaks. Valve cover gasket and distributor are apparently leaking. Let me guess, there is probably oil inside the spark plug tubes as well huh, that would be the lower tube seals. Oil pan gasket is probably leaking, maybe even the rear main, and I garan-damn-tee the cam seal is puking oil down the back of the block as well.

valve cover gasket - if you are going to do this, you may as well do the upper and lower tube seals too before all that oil destroys the plug wires.

distributor - the internal seal is leaking so the entire sub-assembly must be replaced. if not replaced, it can cause the ignitor to fail prematurely. Also, there is a coolant hose directly under the distributor and all that oil leaking on it is causing it to swell and it will eventually pop.

oil pan gasket and/or rear main leak - these will not hurt anything if they leak, therefore are not really a big priority

cam seal - everyone knows about this one, probably the worst leaking seal on the entire motor and located in the worst spot; right behind the timing belt. Basicly, this one is going to cause the timing belt to swell up and break.

So, there you have it, all the common trouble spots to look for as far as oil leaks go
          00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Here is my helpful hint to. If you are going to change your own valve cover gasket, when you put the valve cover back on, don't force the bolts in or wrench down on them to hard. If you crack one off, its going to be the biggest pain you've ever had to deal with in your life. So take it easy on those bolts.

Comment

thanks..I think I will take each part one by one. i'll go w/ the valve cover, tube seals, then take on the distrib,

So UP @ 12 on Pulley = TDC?

The only thing that i am uncertain is the part that needs the assistant, my timing belt will create tension, i d k where the bearing cap will be located.

I guess I have to buy torque wrenches and maybe feeler guage. Seriously any body got an estimate as to how much it'll cost?
              hahahahah

Comment

To replace lower tube seals? You don't have to mess with the timing at all so don't even worry about it. As far as the belt tension, it doesn't affect anything when you pull the rockershafts off,so don't worry about that either. You do in fact need a in/lb torque wrench tho, 192 in/lbs on the 12mm bolts and 108 in/lbs on the 10mms. Matter of fact, I think ACCORDianate posted a DIY on tube seals when we replaced them on his car so look for that.

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

oh man that made life so much easier.. i found his post exactly and he mentions that it needs a 2nd person to hold things down, while i take off the rocker assembly. That's why I was uncertain, I read his post and he mentions how piston 1 should be at TDC, and w/ a timing belt on, a 2nd person is needed.. so mrhonda, when u did yours, nothing like popped out or whatever??
                  i want to replace all the tube seals, upper, lower and gasket (the kit that they sell at checkers).

so basicaly, after removing valve cover, i loosen BUT NOT REMOVE the bolts. then i can just take off the rocker assembly.

yes i can't skimp on torque specs for something like the engine. i might as well take my time and do the valve clearance adjustment.

thanks... please confirm on the rocker arm part..
                  hahahahah

Comment

Like I said before, you don't need to hold the cam down, trust me it won't move. Oh, and thanks for reminding me, loosen all the bolts but DO NOT remove them, just leave them in when you pull the rocker shafts off. Also, you will need to need to adjust the valves when you are done, thats when you set the motor at TDC, but you don't really have to set it there until after you replace the seals. Set intake @ .25mm, and exhaust @ .30mm

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

thank you.. will calculate my finances and purchase some tools first..
                      hahahahah

Comment

can i do the distributor seals later? im thinkign of doing the valve cover gasket first and tube seals,

or should i do all them at the same time??
                        hahahahah

Comment

MRhonda, its always good to have a mechanic on a car forum

Anyway I just wanted to say I replaced my Valve cover gasket and it came with the spark plug gaskets as well. I replaced both and while it helped it did not solve the oil-in-plugs problem completely. As you mentioned, the lower seals must be done as well, which did not come in the kit. This gives me something to do on my day off.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                          where you been, is something wrong?
                          i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair
                            MRhonda, its always good to have a mechanic on a car forum

Anyway I just wanted to say I replaced my Valve cover gasket and it came with the spark plug gaskets as well. I replaced both and while it helped it did not solve the oil-in-plugs problem completely. As you mentioned, the lower seals must be done as well, which did not come in the kit. This gives me something to do on my day off.
                            Also, when doing your lower tube seals, it is also a good time to replace the cam seal if it is leaking since its right there too.

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Originally posted by mrhonda
                              Also, when doing your lower tube seals, it is also a good time to replace the cam seal if it is leaking since its right there too.
                              hmm interesting... thanks. i will check it out and let you know..
                              hahahahah

Comment

Working...
                              X