Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing belt proper tension

hey tuners,

I found out today that my timing belt isn't well tensioned, is there a DIY where it shows how to do the proper tension ?!

I also read somewhere that there's a bolt needed to be loosened to tighten it and another bolt that should be removed so you can revv-up your car ? where are these located ?

pictures would help make me understand ... thanks

Well since I got no reply, after reading some posts about it on the forum, I went ahead to give it a try, I set both the crank shaft pulley and the cam shaft pulley to TDC.

I removed the belts of the PS pump and alternator and jacked up my car. I tried from underneath the car and from above near the PS pump .... and NOT IN HELL would it budge with all my girth and eventually ended up warping the head of the adjusting BOLT / NUT

So now what ?! ... I will post a picture tonight. So I think, now I cannot adjust the tension anymore nor I can replace my timing belt in the future.

I have a few questions though:

1 - is it a nut or a 14mm bolt ?! (engine is F22A6)

2 - If I will get it to a shop so they can heat it and remove it so I can replace it with a new one .... what will happen ? is a timing belt job or just remove a nut and install another quick job then try to set tension properly as per the DIY ?

3 - a timing belt that is not properly tight, will it cause my RPM to go crazy bouncing as soon as I press the A/C button and the car loses speed.

I came to the timing belt tension conclusion because my A/C has no leaks, is properly filled and the blower motor works flawlessly, the air blowing does make the cabin have room temperature but not cold as to feel there's an A/C at work.
    Last edited by EsperHamid; 08-05-2015, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Don't tell me I should remove the 10 mm bolt holding the tension arm between the 14 mm adjusting nut and the spring, first !!! .... is that why I warped the 14mm adjusting nut ?
      Last edited by EsperHamid; 08-05-2015, 08:15 AM.

Comment

I had your issue before, for the life of me could't remove that bolt. Used a 14MM and wrench and a cheater pipe. Bolt came undone.
        MRT: http://www.cd5tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=5748

Comment

isn't there anything I should remove for this bolt/nut to loosen ? is it just my luck that it warped ?

... I mean I have my engine covers upper and lower removed 3 years ago just to get easier access to things and this bolt a job that should've taken barely half an hour took me 4-5 hours with no results but pain.

No torque wrench would go in, I tried with a 14mm and the hand of the jack ... and the bolt warped ... there must be something wrong .... even the crank pulley bolt can't be compared to how stubborn this bolt was.

should've removed my spark plugs ?
          Last edited by EsperHamid; 08-05-2015, 11:01 PM.

Comment

alright I don't know if this might be related to why the nut wouldn't budge ... but please I would appreciate if someone replies.

Yesterday, car cold, I span the cam gear until TDC grooves matched and then removed the rubber plug on where you set your ignition timing and I found the below, also I realized my Dizzy was tilted all the way to the back

Shouldn't the groove on the engine block match the groove on the fly wheel when you put your cam gear to TDC instead of it matching the red mark !? is this is why the 14 mm nut wouldn't budge ? or not related

My timing light was broken and I forgot about it ....so I couldn't set my ignition timing for the time being.

Also I found this video on YouTube yesterday and the guy wasn't loosening the adjusting nut to tighten the belt rather he (or his daughter) was tightening a 10mm at the left of that 14mm nut
            Last edited by EsperHamid; 08-07-2015, 01:34 AM.

Comment

the timing marks and the tensioner nut have nothing to do with each other. Have you tried hitting the tensioner nut with pb blaster(make sure to not get any on the belt) or taken vise grips to it yet? Possibly removing the motor mount and letting the motor sag a little on the driver side could provide easier access to the bolt.
              Here is a pic of it from the Honda Manual, sorry cant figure out why the pic isn't rotating.

So it looks like you only loosen the tensioner bolt.
              ~Nick~
              FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
              MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

in the end I went to a welding shop and asked him to do me a hole in the chassis after pin-pointing the bolt location.
                I then inserted my torque wrench from behind the tire, and pop !! got it to finally loosen !! ,,, then plugged this service ^_^ hole with a rubber plug.

Then did the tension as instructed by the DIY, but I found that the front of the belt is well tight however the back of the belt has slack ... did I do it well ? is it supposed to be like so ?
                Last edited by EsperHamid; 08-10-2015, 04:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X