code 1/ code 43, losing power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

code 1/ code 43, losing power

so my car is throwing these. it runs a little rough and the cel comes on at highway speeds. it is having some acceleration issues.

o2 sensor (ex model, on top of exhaust, wagon) was replaced with a denso in november. just put a new one on this past week, and this issue cropped up while on the highway a week later. car kept up to speed, but cel came on. had to accelerate a little harder.

apparently, the fuel pressure is checking out fine. fuel pump was replaced as well (oem) few weeks back.

what on earth is causing this? fuel filter? fuel pressure regulator? fuel filter was replaced in 2008. my shop is stumped and saying it could be anything. they said the first thing they'd try to fix is the throttle.

transmission fluid is bright red. honda fluid.

any help folks? we're stumped!

Try disconnecting the o2. If it runs better, it's likely the replacement is bad
    sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

it was replaced in november and just a week ago. do you think it could be a bad catalytic converter? mine is original. i did a little searching on other websites and i read there's no specific cat codes for this car and someone else had the same problem. the issue acts up when the car warms up. it especially acts up at higher speeds- about 45-65 mph. rpms lower too when car slows down and will not go. all places to check fuel pressure are coming back ok.

Comment

Honestly I had that exact issue only with an o2, if it was the cat being blocked you'd see performance issues over the whole range, not only when hot. Driving without your o2 will revert your car to a base map, and really is the best way to troubleshoot these issues.

Manufacturers do make mistakes and sometimes parts just fail. My OEM Honda wheel bearing failed after one year due to a manufacturing defect. It happens!
        Last edited by lbus9168; 06-26-2016, 02:54 PM.

Comment

also, i should mention, there is a small hole up where the manifold is. could that be causing the issue? want me to take some photos?

Comment

also, should add, car struggles going up hills. i took it out for a drive and yup, barely goes. even at lower speeds.

Comment

Small hole in the exhaust manifold won't cause a major issue, I drive my Integra with a cracked exhaust manifold and all it did was cause extra noise.

Just disconnect the cat and see if the issue is fixed, if it is reconnect it and take it to a mechanic/exhaust shop

I highly recommend not running without a cat for any extended period of time, not good for the environment.

Comment

43 is almost always an o2 sensor code. 1 is always an o2 sensor code. It's not impossible for two new sensors to be bad. It's also possible that your o2 sensor wiring is damaged. Inspect it.

What brand o2 sensors have you been using? If they're Bosch, they won't work. Bosch sensors are notoriously problematic on these cars. I think I have maybe met ONE person that claims a Bosch sensor worked properly, and I'm still not entirely sure they were being truthful.
                You need to use NTK or Denso.

Comment

had it inspected and was told it was fine. ecu was tested as well. both sensors have been denso. i knew not to use bosch from this forum. i read somewhere else that a clogged cat can cause these codes to come up and mess up the o2 sensor. also, there is a hole at the exhaust up front near the manifold. i've probably had that for quite some time, but could that be causing my issue?

Comment

It's unlikely, but it wouldn't hurt to get that fixed. It's probably not a good idea to have exhaust fumes exiting there anyway!

Comment

ok here's some photos of exhaust and manifold. i drew a green circle where the hole is.

Comment

I would try unplugging the O2 sensor and start the car up with it disconnected. See how it runs, if it's running better than before take it for a short drive. If all symptoms are gone then replace the O2 and continue on. At least this will quickly eliminated the O2 sensor as bad or good. Also I would highly recommend a NTK or Denso O2 sensor and not a Bosch.
                        MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

My A6 exh mani has that same exact hole, luckily it's not in the exhaust stream and is not a leak. It's caused by the location of the stud, the pilot hole just barely broke thru.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            43 is almost always an o2 sensor code. 1 is always an o2 sensor code. It's not impossible for two new sensors to be bad. It's also possible that your o2 sensor wiring is damaged. Inspect it.

What brand o2 sensors have you been using? If they're Bosch, they won't work. Bosch sensors are notoriously problematic on these cars. I think I have maybe met ONE person that claims a Bosch sensor worked properly, and I'm still not entirely sure they were being truthful.
                            You need to use NTK or Denso.
                            was probably me, for some reason on my h22a swapped car didnt like NTK's so i was like what the hell and the bosch has been working for a year and a half now.. BUT its only been this car. NTK/NGK all the way other wise

Comment

Working...
                            X