Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I test and replace my fuel injectors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I test and replace my fuel injectors?

So I posted a thread sometime ago about my CB7 not wanting to start easily sometimes... http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=209306

And most of you pointed out that the problem is possibly a leaking fuel injector, Jeez, what would I do without you guys, and all this time I thought it was just because of the humidity or some crap. So I was wondering how I can test to see if its actually leaking, I would imagine this would require removing the injector and turning the key on a few times and looking for the leaking one. How does one go about removing said injectors? My car is at the body shop so I can't really have a look and get a basic ideas, I looked up a video of injector replacement on a CB7 but the camera was a potato and there was an earthquake going on through the entire video from what it looks like. I figured I'd ask the CB7 Community, its always good to have an expert give you some knowledge beforehand before just jumping straight into it and possibly ruin something imo.
    Also, if I were to remove the injectors, is there anything I would have to watch not to mess up? like accidentally breaking a wiring harness, or a line, or screwing up seals? Is there anything other than the injector that is recommended to be replaced while the injectors are already out?

Does just the leaking injector need to be replaced? or is it necessary to replace all of them regardless of whether they work or not? (kinda like spark plugs) What's the best option for replacement injectors, OEM or aftermarket? (I would assume OEM) Any recommendations on where I can get good injectors? and can injectors from a different Honda be used? What is the average cost of a set of new injectors? Is this a good time to change out the fuel filter too? If none of the injectors are leaking, what could that mean for my occasional hard starting?

I know, I know, I'm asking a lot of questions, But knowledge is power

Betty and Betzi died for our sins

Originally posted by AmTeC View Post
    So I posted a thread sometime ago about my CB7 not wanting to start easily sometimes... http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=209306

And most of you pointed out that the problem is possibly a leaking fuel injector, Jeez, what would I do without you guys, and all this time I thought it was just because of the humidity or some crap. So I was wondering how I can test to see if its actually leaking, I would imagine this would require removing the injector and turning the key on a few times and looking for the leaking one. How does one go about removing said injectors? My car is at the body shop so I can't really have a look and get a basic ideas, I looked up a video of injector replacement on a CB7 but the camera was a potato and there was an earthquake going on through the entire video from what it looks like. I figured I'd ask the CB7 Community, its always good to have an expert give you some knowledge beforehand before just jumping straight into it and possibly ruin something imo.
    You will not have to remove them to see. The proper way to check LEAKAGE is with a fuel pressure gauge! Just hook one up, and prime the system. If there's a pressure drop, you have your answer. If there isn't a drop, then removal is needed to check for BLOCKAGE. Removal is easy, just disconnect the battery, remove your gas cap, disconnect the injectors, unbolt the harness sleeve & rail, and gently pry the injectors/rail up and out of the manifold. Remember to catch all the fuel with a towel/rag/whatever when you disconnect any fuel lines. We like you, and don't want you or your vehicle to catch fire.

Also, if I were to remove the injectors, is there anything I would have to watch not to mess up? like accidentally breaking a wiring harness, or a line, or screwing up seals? Is there anything other than the injector that is recommended to be replaced while the injectors are already out?
    Injector seals will need replacement if removed. The harness connects could be brittle, and the black plastic sleeve that protects the injector harness is easy to break. Make sure you replace any cracked/brittle hoses from the fuel rail, and if needed - the vacuum line for the FPR.

Does just the leaking injector need to be replaced? or is it necessary to replace all of them regardless of whether they work or not? (kinda like spark plugs) What's the best option for replacement injectors, OEM or aftermarket? (I would assume OEM) Any recommendations on where I can get good injectors? and can injectors from a different Honda be used? What is the average cost of a set of new injectors? Is this a good time to change out the fuel filter too? If none of the injectors are leaking, what could that mean for my occasional hard starting?
    Just replace the faulty part/parts. If it isn't broken, don't fix it. New injectors vary from like $50-$150 each. OEM is best 99% of the time. The parts stores are going to give you Standard Motor brand parts. You can use the injectors off an h23a non-vtec that came in the 92-96 Preludes. If you haven't changed your fuel filter, and don't know when it was last replaced, sure change it! Won't hurt, just be sure not to lose your washers. The ones that are sold in the part stores usually have a shitty aluminum washer that doesn't seal worth a damn.

I know, I know, I'm asking a lot of questions, But knowledge is power
    I hope that helped out, man.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! That was quite enlightening

Checking the fuel pressure is something that had slipped my mind, While I am fairly certain that the fuel pressure is leaking somewhere (Doesn't start quickly cold unless primed once, etc) its always good to make sure before firing the parts cannon blindly

As for replacing the seals, Yeah I sorta expected that, no biggie, seals can't be too expensive. And you mentioned replacing only what's broken, How would I single out which injector(s) is the culprit? The fuel pressure gauge would only reveal that there's a leak somewhere, but not where exactly right?

Betty and Betzi died for our sins

Comment

Originally posted by AmTeC View Post
        Thanks for the reply! That was quite enlightening

Checking the fuel pressure is something that had slipped my mind, While I am fairly certain that the fuel pressure is leaking somewhere (Doesn't start quickly cold unless primed once, etc) its always good to make sure before firing the parts cannon blindly

As for replacing the seals, Yeah I sorta expected that, no biggie, seals can't be too expensive. And you mentioned replacing only what's broken, How would I single out which injector(s) is the culprit? The fuel pressure gauge would only reveal that there's a leak somewhere, but not where exactly right?
        So - put a fuel pressure gauge on, then cycle each injector individually. If there's any difference in leak down pressure, replace said injector.

You can pull the rail & injectors by all means, man. Maybe get a disposable baking pan to catch the gas, and prime & cycle them a few times and see if any leak. You can check spray pattern this way too. Just let everything dry that gets fuel on it.

Comment

Working...
        X