after 5200 rpms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

after 5200 rpms

when i get to about 5000+ rpms my engine starts slowing down and getting louder then makes a pop noise in my intake and loses all power by the time i get to 5500 ....i dont think this should happen at all...any clues or ideas about what could be wrong? by the way this is in a 90 ex manual

sounds like a distributor problem. When i got my 91lx, it would do that over about 4000rpm. It felt kinda like it was backfiring or something, and i kinda figured it was a clogged cat... a really clogged cat. If I kept on pushing it it would make that poping sound... didnt sound too healthy. Replaced the distributor, and it went away.
    My car felt like a racecar after I did that, since we make the small amount of power up in the high end.. and since I couldnt get there... i was screwed b4.

Comment

how much do u think thatll run for?

Comment

a new distributor off ebay is around 130-150
        I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

a dizzy out of a salvage yard will run ya roughly $50 or so.
          Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
          2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
          2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
          2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

ok i was driving again

ok i was driving again and top every gear as far as it would go..i really only payed attention when i got high so when i in 4th gear it loss fuel at exactly 5100 rpms no clue y im guessing ev gear is doin it...i no for sure 1st gear does ...y is this?

Comment

How fast are you going at 5100 in 4th? Theres a fuel cutoff at 115mph.
              Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
              2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
              2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
              2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

i was at mayb 105 or less or somewhere around there ...i no it wasnt 115

Comment

I've got a distributor. Came off my f22 before I pulled it out. Ran fine when I had it in. Only problem is one of the mounting bolts is broken off in it(you can see in pic) But I didnt have problems with that like it is... didnt know it was like that until I pulled it off, and wondered why that one wasnt even on there. It was off a 91 so its internal coil.. coil included. heres a pic. Make an offer if you are interested. Its just taking up space now.

Comment

are you telling me this because you think my problem is the distributor or are your just trying to sell you stuff

Comment

well.. if you read my post above.. i stated how it sounded like my problem, and told you what my car did when this was the problem. A few others suggested the same thing, and said that you could buy one. I would probably try the fuel filter first just to be sure, but it does sound like the same problem I had. I think my level was somewhere between 3-5k where it would just sputter and do some type of misfire feeling, and would do the not so great pop sound once in a while if i would keep on pushing it. But since I had an extra distributor lying around that I dont have a use for, I figured I would offer it for sale. And seeing that a new one (distributor and coil from autozone would cost somewhere around 250-300 bucks), I wouldnt have a problem beating that price.

Comment

ok well heres the thing its says my car hp rating thing is 130 @ 5200 rpms so should it really being going past that? or do i misunderstand that ?

Comment

aight thx..yea automotives isnt my strong point at all really...im jus kinda gettn started with this kinda stuff...i do computer networking.....but thx for the help

Comment

Fizz is right on the money, check everything related to the ignition system first before you start thinking about a new dizzy.

If you DO find that your problem lies with the distributor:
                            http://www.andale.com/stores/sf_home...istributorking
                            I bought my dizzy from them and it solved alot of issues I had with the way the car ran
                            just say "I'm a member of honda-tech" and would like a members discount.
                            here's a vouch thread on them @ h-t:
                            http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread...50022&postid=0
                            ~~~~~~~

Comment

word good lookn out money

Comment

Working...
                              X