Camshaft seal direction question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camshaft seal direction question

This may sound stupid, but which way does the camshaft seal go in? It's the flat side out, like all the rest of the seals in the timing belt area, right?

I just replaced this last weekend when I was doing my timing belt and now its shredded. The metal binding part inside the seal tore out and I'm leaking oil all over my brand new t-belt. Nice huh?

Just thought I'd ask, maybe I accidentally stuck it in there backwards

"Sticker this, censor this, ban this
    We got something to say!
    Police this, condemn this, damn this
    We'll be heard anyway!
    Middle finger is the flag that I wave when I'm silenced!" - MuDvAyNe, "Silenced"

yep, flat side goes out. You probably just rolled the lip when you drove it in. Just clean it all up really good, install a new seal, and take a look at it very closly, especially in inner lip to make sure you didn't pinch it.
    00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

i hope i didnt do that with the crankshaft seal or the balance shaft seal! I tried to look down through the top of the lower timing belt cover and the balance seal looks like its holding... the crankshaft i can barely see. No surprise considering its buried under 3 gears, 2 belts and a concave washer

Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to double check that when I replace it tomorrow.

Hey, on a different subject which seal do I need to replace to stop the distributor leaking? Which number from the illustration ?

Thanks!

Oh yeah, that price for the entire distributor can't possibly be right can it? That's more than the car is worth and the sum of all the individual pieces!!

"Sticker this, censor this, ban this
      We got something to say!
      Police this, condemn this, damn this
      We'll be heard anyway!
      Middle finger is the flag that I wave when I'm silenced!" - MuDvAyNe, "Silenced"

Comment

lol $8k for a distributor hahahahhaha
        Seattle Silver crew #5
        Member of the Midwest Car Club.
        ..........2004 accord ex v6 - J30A4.......................... 91 accord ex - JDM H22A -- Long gone...

Comment

You most likely drove the seal in at a slight angle. I was scared of doing that when I installed my rear main on the h22 before dropping it in. I would use a piece of wood or something that will evenly distribute the force of pushing it in. Since at 8k rpms, just a tiny bit cocked, and that seal will shred, just as it did.

Comment

Originally posted by evol90accord
            Hey, on a different subject which seal do I need to replace to stop the distributor leaking?
            It depends where its leaking from. SOmetimes just the outer o-ring leaks and you just have to pull the dist. off to replace it, really cheap and it takes about 1 min to do it. However, at this age these cars usually leak from the dist. internal seal which unfortunately cannot be purchased seperately, you have to replace the entire sub-assembly. Just pull off the cap and see if there is oil inside the dist. I think a new OEM sub-assembly is about $300 give or take. Be careful tho, if its leaking really bad and oil drips onto the coolant bypass hose this will cause it to swell up and it will eventually pop and overheat the engine. So take a good look at that bypass hose for oil saturation, if its covered with oil replace it too.
            00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Try distributor king, they own when it comes to distributors.. get them brand new for like around 175 with cap and rotors, ive bought 2 of them. And if you are a member of H-T you get a 10 percent discount.
              H22 Prelude VTEC 92-96 200 161 10.6:1 87 90 DOHC VTEC 2157 JDM

190.3whp 155 wtq - with bolt ons, and a dc header

ET=14.457 @ 94mph w/ 2.173 60Fter

Comment

Working...
              X