Bosch O2 sensor reliability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bosch O2 sensor reliability

I did a search and found some responses, but I would like to dedicate a thread to this specific question and hear from people that have used this product. I want to know if you have installed a Bosch O2 sensor and how long has it lasted you (please indicate if it went bad, etc).

The reason I ask is because on our 90 Accord EX I replaced the O2 sensor with Bosch OEM type (plug-in) like 3 weeks ago and reset the ECU (removed ECU back-up fuse & shorted ECU via touching battery cables to drain transistors in ECU for hard codes).

Anyhow, 3 weeks after this installation my dad encountered driveability problems and said the engine check light went off. I checked the codes to find code 43 and 1.

43 = fuel supply system
    1 = oxygen content

So I didn't have time to diagnose it and my dad needed the car, so he took it to the Honda dealer. Anyways, they say the Bosch sensor is defective and will charge $250 installed for replacement with OEM part.
    HondaFan81 For Sale Parts (LOW PRICES ON EVERYTHING)

I'm preaty sure that the bosch one has a ltd life time warenty on it. and it sounds like it went bad on you. I'd say bring the bosch one back to were ever you got it with a receipt and get it defect exchanged. (I work at advance auto parts, we would do it there) I always thought the o2 sensors to last atleast 10k miles. Mine works good and i have the bosch oem one.
    WTB:
    88-01 prelude 2.0si (3g) si (4g,5g)
    OR
    90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

Comment

I just got the Bosch 02 sensor (OE type w/ direct plug) for my 90 EX, and I constantly throw a code 41, oxygen sensor heater. My 15 year old stock o2 sensor works fine, I just thought it should be replaced after 170K miles. It doesn't throw any codes at all. I have a thread about it here.

From what I can tell, a lot of people have problems with Bosch sensors not working correctly with Hondas. If that is the case then I think I should contact Bosch directly and inform them they suck.

"Sticker this, censor this, ban this
      We got something to say!
      Police this, condemn this, damn this
      We'll be heard anyway!
      Middle finger is the flag that I wave when I'm silenced!" - MuDvAyNe, "Silenced"

Comment

"they suck" thats funny! I have replaced a few, one a little over a year ago on my buddys 90 lx because he painted the heat shield with regular paint Dumb idea, but his has werked fine since, no codes or anything! I immediatly made him remove heat shield too

WaC!

Comment

Well, last night i ordered a Honda OEM O2 sensor and it will arrive in a few days. I plan to replace the Bosch sensor, then reset the ECU and run it for 1-2 weeks and see if it throws codes and fixes the problem. If it does, I will THEN return the Bosch and get my money back from Advance Auto Parts where I bought it, I still have the receipt. I should have no problems with them, I go there frequently and they know me and I have spent mucho dinero there so it should not be an issue. If it is, I will put them in their place or they will lose me as customer and I'll go down the street to Autozone. I'll post back when we find out what's up....

Comment

Im pretty sure just pulling the ecu fuse and radio backup will erase codes! Im not sure that there is such a thing as hard codes on our car are there?
            But about your o2 sensor honda oem, cant go wrong with that purchase! How much?

WaC!

Comment

mine throws codes as well...buy another and return the old one..maybe u will get one that works.
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by westsideaccord
                Im pretty sure just pulling the ecu fuse and radio backup will erase codes! Im not sure that there is such a thing as hard codes on our car are there?
                But about your o2 sensor honda oem, cant go wrong with that purchase! How much?
                $152 from Majestic Honda...I have to get some other parts as well and it's for my dad's car.

Comment

I just installed the OEM Honda O2 sensor on the 90 EX today, it was NGK brand, to replace the Bosch O2 sensor I installed like 3-4 weeks prior. On the drive back home which is like 40 min, I took the route where there is more city-type driving and so far no engine codes and no hesitations/sputtering at no point in driving it. I reset the ECU both by removing the fuse according to the Helms manual and I shorted the battery cables to drain the ECU (transistors) for any hard codes, etc which is a tip I got from a knowledgeable Honda mechanic.

So I'll try and remember to post back after my dad drives it a couple weeks to and from work, etc. We'll see if it was indeed a bad Bosch O2 sensor.

Comment

I recently bought a 02 Sensor off ebay and im experiencing sputtering at acceleration, i didnt reset ECU but will do that tomorrow, if not i will need a new o2 again as well.

Comment

I recommend getting a Denso O2 sensor. Denso is a Honda oem supplier and most auto parts stores should have them.

http://www.densoaftermarket.com/part..._sensors.shtml

Comment

Lesson Learned, do not buy an O2 Sensor from Ebay, the damn thing runs way worse now then with my old one, Low RPM I cant even do without spittering. GD thing was a waste of money.

Comment

I've had a bosch O2 sensors for months no probs so far
                          U silly rabbit don't u know tricks are made for kidz, You without me is like corn flakes without the milk! This my world, you just a squirrel trying to get a nut!!

Comment

Working...
                          X