Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing head

Here is my situation:
    I searched but i didn't find anything on this topic.

I hear this tapping noise coming from the engine and I am thinking its a possibility of bent valves. Now I need to pull the head to see fully whats bent and replace whats bent.

Now How do u go about removing the head. I know there are bolts that hold it on but what about the timing belt, do i need to open the cover and release the tensioner? Or will the belt just slip off?

Any help would be appreciated

How does the engine run? Why do you think its a bent valve? I would pinpoint the noise first before you go tearing into anything....it may just be time for a valve adjustment.
    00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

It sounds like a tapping noise and its trough all the rpms and the engine feels slugish....Ill try to get a sound clip tomorrow,

Comment

Yeah, it could maybe be in dire need of a valve adjustment. I suppose if the adjustment was so off, the engine would strain a little or maybe a lot. When do you suppose the valves were adjusted last?

Dan

Comment

I bought the car recently and it has 173k miles so thats why i am thinking its the valves. And if i did have bent what would i notice?

Comment

does the car smoke?

Comment

Originally posted by Mista Juice
              does the car smoke?
              No smoking. Just the tapping noise.

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747
                No smoking. Just the tapping noise.
                Valve adjustment. Another overlooked item on CB7s. I think that can very well get the problem. I say make your adjustments first before you tear off the cylinder head.

Comment

The only way you're going to bend a valve is by seriously over-reving it like downshifting into 2nd @ 90 mph or something. Either that or if the timing belt breaks it'll bend the shit out of the valves. If you did have one or more that was bent, the engine would have a serious missfire. Like I said, probably just need a valve adjustment.
                  00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Ran a search for you b/c I've never experienced a bent valve before. I'd guess it would tick more than normal, but it's probably the adj.

Here you go:
                    http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.p...ght=Bent+Valve

Comment

if it doesnt smoke, im highly doubting its a bent valve..

Comment

Working...
                      X