Question about A/C blower...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about A/C blower...

So my friend just bought a 93 Accord LX and its having issues....you would think since hes a honda mechanic that he would know whats up, but I figured I would at least ask! Anyways, his fan switch doesn't work at all, meaning he turnes on the AC and no air blows out...IDK if its a fuse or what, but I've never seen this happen B4.....could anyone shed some light? It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    1991 Honda Accord Ex
    Pics of the beast!

::::198.4 WHP and 146.6 WTQ Currently weighing in at 2700lbs...best time: 14.8@92mph::::

2003 BMW 330I Sport.....Daily Hustler....

Road Race #1
    Totoro Squad #2

So when the switch is pressed, nothing happens? If the RPM doesn't drop at idle then the compressor isn't activated. You could have your friend press the A/C button and look at the compressor to see if the clutch engaged or not.

I know there's a pressure safety switch that doesn't allow the system to turn on if there's too much or too little refriderant, so maybe it's low or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7
      So when the switch is pressed, nothing happens? If the RPM doesn't drop at idle then the compressor isn't activated. You could have your friend press the A/C button and look at the compressor to see if the clutch engaged or not.

I know there's a pressure safety switch that doesn't allow the system to turn on if there's too much or too little refriderant, so maybe it's low or something?
      no no no....the blower doesn't blow any air at all, not even while using vent....the car has 110K on it, and the AC worked prefectly the day before yesterday....but now the fan doesn't blow any other air through the vents....
      1991 Honda Accord Ex
      Pics of the beast!

::::198.4 WHP and 146.6 WTQ Currently weighing in at 2700lbs...best time: 14.8@92mph::::

Road Race #1
      Totoro Squad #2

Comment

sounds like a bad motor, or bad connection to the motor. Check the wires under the glovebox are and make sure they are plugged in securely. Could be a bad resistor pack...but usually when the resistor pack goes bad, the motor will still work....but only at one speed. It's probably a bad motor or bad connection or bad ground in the circuit.

My Accord History:
        91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

ac is for pussies lol
          take it out
          it weighs you down, it can take off .07 of your 1/4
          cccheaaaa
          Accord Nation

92 accord sold, 91 accord ex-r still alive
          240sx for that dorifto action comming soon

Comment

Originally posted by ACCLUDE91
            sounds like a bad motor, or bad connection to the motor. Check the wires under the glovebox are and make sure they are plugged in securely. Could be a bad resistor pack...but usually when the resistor pack goes bad, the motor will still work....but only at one speed. It's probably a bad motor or bad connection or bad ground in the circuit.
            thanks man....ill look at it and see whats up....

nightrider....uhh....you obviously don't live in Arizona, until you live here, you'll never understand the concept of everyone having AC here....so the AC stays in.
            1991 Honda Accord Ex
            Pics of the beast!

Road Race #1
            Totoro Squad #2

Comment

The A/C compressor could have gone bad. Mine did it recently. I would toggle my A/C button and nothing would happen and I later found out that the compressor was shot. The evaporator core could be bad, but I would check the compressor first to see if thats the problem. Make sure the power connector is plugged in it's getting power.

I know how you feel, I don't have A/C right now and I live in Florida. Thanks to Brandon (Aero) and Granite CB7, I will have my AC working this week!
              Adam - Retired OG member from '03
              2010 Lexus IS-F : Starfire Pearl
              2009 Yamaha R1 Raven : Black on Black
              2002 Lexus IS300 : Crystal White Pearl / Black Leather

.. i HAD more shaved on my accord than your girl does on her entire body..

Comment

Originally posted by rebels
                The A/C compressor could have gone bad. Mine did it recently. I would toggle my A/C button and nothing would happen and I later found out that the compressor was shot. The evaporator core could be bad, but I would check the compressor first to see if thats the problem. Make sure the power connector is plugged in it's getting power.

I know how you feel, I don't have A/C right now and I live in Florida. Thanks to Brandon (Aero) and Granite CB7, I will have my AC working this week!
                It's not the actual ac unit...its the fan speed switch.....no matter what fan speed I put it on, NO AIR BLOWS OUT.....no matter what im using....(heater, vent, ac)...I'm beginning to think it's the blower motor itself..I dunno....I really don't want to have to fix it because it is a P.I.T.A., but I guess I'll have to do it one way or the other!
                1991 Honda Accord Ex
                Pics of the beast!

Road Race #1
                Totoro Squad #2

Comment

Originally posted by 91hybridaccord
                  It's not the actual ac unit...its the fan speed switch.....no matter what fan speed I put it on, NO AIR BLOWS OUT.....
                  So what you're trying to say is that no air blows out? At all? j/k

Its your blower motor. I've had to replace it on both my 90 and my current 93. You're going to have to remove the glove box and contort yourself to get the blower motor box out. There's some weird clamps that are a pain that connect it to the rest of the ducting under the dash.

Try a salvage yard first: it should run you about $30ish for the blower motor and box, and it'll give you a chance to disassemble the dash on a wrecked car that isn't yours so you'll know how to do it when it comes time to put the one you just pulled out into yours without F'ing stuff up. I did it most recently two summers ago in mid August in Texas in the middle of the day with no shade in almost triple digit temperatures with nearly 100% humidity. It took about 2 hours from start to finish. Don't forget some Gatorade at the gas station before you start. Good luck.
                  Former: 90 Accord EX Coupe, 93 10th Anniversary in Frost White

1985 Volvo 245 manual [IPD lowering springs, IPD sway bars, OEM Virgo wheels, 1977 quad round headlights, 1978 grill]
                  2001 Mazda B3000 SE 4x4 extended cab [stock except for CB radio]
                  2008 Ford Escape XLT [bone stock]
                  2015 Toyota Prius Three with solar roof [rear diffuser, Vision Cross wheels... cheaper than steelies!]

Comment

Originally posted by ACCORDianate
                    So what you're trying to say is that no air blows out? At all? j/k

Its your blower motor. I've had to replace it on both my 90 and my current 93. You're going to have to remove the glove box and contort yourself to get the blower motor box out. There's some weird clamps that are a pain that connect it to the rest of the ducting under the dash.

Try a salvage yard first: it should run you about $30ish for the blower motor and box, and it'll give you a chance to disassemble the dash on a wrecked car that isn't yours so you'll know how to do it when it comes time to put the one you just pulled out into yours without F'ing stuff up. I did it most recently two summers ago in mid August in Texas in the middle of the day with no shade in almost triple digit temperatures with nearly 100% humidity. It took about 2 hours from start to finish. Don't forget some Gatorade at the gas station before you start. Good luck.
                    Yes, I def. agree. The blower motor will be on the far right (closed to pass. door) and the evaporator is to the left of the blower motor. Those clamps actually seal the transitions in the ducts, so it's important you put them back correctly or some heat/A/C will leak out before going out the vents. It could be a switch, but it's prob. just the blower motor. Good luck and sorry I didn't understand you the first time!

Comment

Originally posted by 91hybridaccord
                      Anyways, his fan switch doesn't work at all, meaning he turnes on the AC and no air blows out...IDK if its a fuse or what, but I've never seen this happen B4.....could anyone shed some light? It would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
                      1. Check Fuse
                      2. Check Resistor packs
                      3. Check Fan Motor
                      4. Ground one side, Check speeds to see If They Work

Sorry if its late information
                      Last edited by JaK FRoSTWhiTE; 07-23-2005, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X