Dirty Evaporator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dirty Evaporator

i took my evaporator out yesterday because a shop that did a leak test said it was leaking. well, whether it really is or not, i'm tired or poorly performing AC so I am replacing the compressor and evaporator. when i took the evaporator out, it was absolutely filthy. it was filled with a layer of dirt, leaves, etc. anyways, i am still replacing it, but is there a way to prevent this buildup on the evaporator or is this normal for a 13 year old evaporator? i just kind of thought there may be a filter or something that would stop this crap from reaching the evaporator. thanks in advance.

I'm glad you noticed the problem! All cars (w/ A/C of course!) will get that eventually and it really hinders the velocity of the air from the blower. What you could do is either some foam (like found in an air filter) or just a basic tight net screen to filter out all the large particles. You could just clean that out every 1-2 years or w/e. I'd recommend just on the side facing the blower, the other side of the evap. doesn't really matter too much. Good luck!

Dan

Comment

13 years of dirt/sand/salt air = unhappy evaporator.

Comment

care to do a write up? i heard any time u open ur system u need to replace the receiver/dryer..

ive been w/o a/c for 4 years now.. u get use to it, but u miss it on rainy days
        hahahahah

Comment

i am waiting for the parts in the mail, i am using all honda parts because i don't want to have to redo this is a year or two. but i am replacing the compressor, evaporator and receiver. and yes it is true you should replace the receiver when you do major work on the AC. i live in FL and i can't go without AC much longer. parts are costing me about $600, but the garage wanted well over $1000 and that's with aftermarket parts.

Comment

did you get new o-rings too? try to find a shop that still has R-12. cooooooold...

edit

our condensors are known to go bad frequently... rocks or corrosion are the most common. i would check it before you do all that work.

Comment

how do you check the condensor other than visually inspecting it. the reason i wasn't planning on replacing it is because i've never had one go bad before. it always seems like it is the compressor or evaporator.

Comment

WHY are you replacing the compressor? I hope you're just not throwing parts at it....there are alot of reasons why an A/C system isn't performing well.
                00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

you know, honda makes a conversion kit from r12 to r134a. there's only two adapters, on goes onto the high side and to the low side connectors. it also comes with pag oil already. it's not that expensive either.
                  The beginning of a new era............................
                  165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
                  184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

yo man...i did the same thing i took mine to a shop they told me that my evap. was leaking soo i replaced and it next thing u know ice cold man....but now i have a leak on the line to the compressor i think....soo im looking at that today...but u should just replace the evap. first to see what happens along with the dryer...i have a write up on taking out the evap. in the diy section for whoever asked...!
                    My Ride

DAMN PISTON RINGS!!!

Comment

finally finished all the work. a/c is pretty cold. haven't had an extremely hot day to really test it out. new factory evaporator with expansion valve $250, rebuilt compressor $150, o-rings $3, factory receiver/dryer $50, aftermarket condensor fan $60, r-134 and oil $30. not sweating your nuts off in traffice = priceless.

Comment

Working...
                      X