how hard to replace axles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how hard to replace axles?

what would i have to remove to replace the axle.
    thanks
    NEED RAP BEATS.....

www.soundclick.com/akcidentaltrakz

I hear it's not too hard. Just a few bolts, and yanking it out of the tranny. I just had mine done though... It's too cold to try to do it myself!

Comment

yeah, i kno the easy part (ive seen) was yanking it out the tranny, and poping it back in we replacing, but im no to sure about the outer end, dont kno if i have to remove the rotor or what
      NEED RAP BEATS.....

Comment

Care to share with my why you'd need to pull the tranny? I guess I'm missing something.

From tearing down other pieces, I've never attempted to pull the axles completley, it looked to me as if you could go at it from the steering knuckles inwards without much trouble... I may very well be missing something, though. Enlighten me

Removing the transmission is the easy part? Heh. I've been a part of those projects before. Easy becomes a relative term (to the Space Shuttle launch!) really quickly.

Comment

yanking the other end of the axle.....out the tranny
          not removing the trans
          one end of teh axle goes into the tranny, the other to the wheel
          NEED RAP BEATS.....

Comment

its really not that hard, if u had a guide, even a haynes, it tells u which bolts need to come out. its just... impossible to undo the spindle nuts... i was going insane trying to get them off.

1. unstake and loosen spindle nut w/out removing wheel (insane, ull probly snap ur breaker bar), THEN jack up the car and remove wheel and nut
            2. drain tranny oil... or itll pour out when u pull the axle, like it did for me lol
            3. remove damper fork from bottom of shock (pinch bolt) and lower control arm (horizontal bolt thru the spokes of the fork)
            4. separate lower ctrl arm from steering knuckle (the one w/ teh cotter pin in it) - this is "popping the lower ball joint"
            5. swing the knuckle/hub away from axle, but pull the end of the axle out of the back of the hub as you swing it away. dont let the axle drop and bend too far, support w/ a jack or something
            6. pop other end out of tranny. for the driver side, it pops out of the intermediate shaft bearing.
            Last edited by cp[mike]; 11-06-2004, 04:11 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Working...
            X