3 Cali smog questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 Cali smog questions

I know for a full engine swap you're supposed to get a BAR approval, does anyone know if you're supposed to or not for a head swap? I'm guessing no one's going to notice the block says F22a1, but the head is DOHC, but just to keep in mind of what I may have to deal with?

I want a Megan racing header, but they're not C.A.R.B. approved. Has anyone from Cali went ahead and gotten their car smogged with a non-CARB E.O.'ed header, and what happened when you did? And BTW, where is the Megan Racing O2 sensor bung? If it's in the stock area instead of down lower like others, it may help the mechanic feel a little more careless.

And most importantly, does anyone around the Inland Empire know of a fairly liberal smog station? Like one where if everything is there and connected and the car passes the sniffer test, you're good, whether your parts are E.O.'ed or not?

i cant answer all your questions but i wouldnt try it w/o a CARB number, waste of their time and a waste of your time espeicially when you receive the test results and it says fail for tampered emissions.

it really depends if the guy knows his shit or not for the DOHC head swap. if he knows that known of the cars between 90-93 came with DOHC and only SOHC, he'd fail you. but if you get a stupid guy (like me), he'll proibably pass you.
    I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

for a head swap, there really isn't a need to get BAR approval. you may not pass local smog though due to a differnt ECU and manifold. this goes for the header as well (no CARB sticker = fails visual). the bung may be on the downpipe portion similar to the EX/SE models. just extend the wires and you should be ok.

our cars are "test-only" cars meaning we can only go to select stations for our smog testing. they are usually more strict than regular test stations. you will need to find someone who is willing to "pass" your car if you go that route. i say just go to some random shop and judging from the looks of the tester, see if they may just pass you based on the sniffer and not the visual.
      1cor10:31
      - 92 LX coupe
      - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

I found one in San Bernardino!!! Doesn't actually check for the ECU, and doesn't care if it's CARB E.O.ed or not as long as everything is there and connected. If anyone needs to know where it is I'll let you know

Comment

go to a smog shop in the ghetto. they dont give ashit.

Comment

Originally posted by RENR
            go to a smog shop in the ghetto. they dont give ashit.
            there is one in moreno valley that will for sure pass you. just gonna cost a little bit more. you know. anyways, my brother has 00 si and with basic boltons and it passed smog legally.
            The beginning of a new era............................
            165 hp 149 ft. lb. torque sohc non vtec. then....
            184 whp and 149 ft. lb. torque f20b stock now......

Comment

how much more do they cost? and can I get an address? The guy in San Bernardino is kind of a dick so I only want to go there if I have to

Comment

Working...
              X