Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

apearantly I have an external combustion engine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

apearantly I have an external combustion engine.

Finally done putting the engine bay together today, the only things I have left are getting the tires on, pressing the pistons into the calipers and mounting them, and figuring out why all 3 of my ball joints on my passanger side won't let a nut be screwed onto them. After I got tired of playing with the ball joints, I decided to finish the engine and get it timed, figuring that way, even if I still have to borrow mom's car, at least the most major part of getting the thing on the road would be done. I got everything just how it should be, except without spark plugs or plug wires, and cranked the engine over to get the oil moving. 3 seconds of cranking later, the area around the fuel rail is on fire. I would guess it would be the washer that goes on top of the banjo fitting on the fuel line. I couldn't find it and used a close one, it may have leaked. I found the right one immediatly afterward and put it on, but didn't try again. I figured it would be better if someone else were watching for signs of what could have ignited it, where the fuel came from, and to hit it with the hose sooner than I could jumping out of the car. Anyone have any other ideas on where the fuel may have come from, and what could have ignited it? btw, nothing burnt, everything's still in tact, just pretty wet. I guess I'll have to wait for my cylinders to dry out to give this another try, it's probably hydrolocked or close to it ATM.

were the spark plugs on the spark wires?maybe they sparked and ignted the fuel lol.

ILBB
    People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
    The world needs to be reset.

Comment

More than likely you got a spark from the coil wire or a ignition lead. The fuel vapour from the leaking banjo would have ignited.

Just a Tip. When winding an engine over to build up oil pressure first remove the ECU Main Fuse or Ignition Fuse to eliminate the possibility of igniton spark, injector pulse & the fuel pump operating during cranking. You should do the same if doing a compression test on any EFI Equipped Vehicle

Comment

the spark plugs and wires weren't even near the engine, so the first wouldn't be it, but the mention of fuel vapor... now it makes sense, the coil is sitting right on the end of the intake camshaft, with the coil wire plug facing up. That'd be pretty close to the banjo fitting, That must have been where it got the spark. I guess when the guy said "without the coil hooked up" he ment hooked up to its leads, not to the distributor. Hopefully that's where the vapor came from, if it wasn't I guess the seals on the fuel injectors did feel a tad loose. Good tip on the relay, sounds better than even having the coil compeletly out.

Comment

Working...
        X