lowering a car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lowering a car?

why do some lowering spring companys recommend you buy aftermarket struts?

because lowering springs will cause your stock struts to blow.......

My Members Ride Thread
    Originally posted by deevergote
    You have to think outside the box to get IN the box!

Comment

They wont always cause them to blow. Been ridin on stock struts for a year and half and mine arent blown. Aftermarket ones will give u a better ride. Depending on which ones u get.

Originally posted by Dr.x
      You drive an almost 20 year old car, pretty much everyone can pay it off.. you dont need to be "ballin"

Comment

Originally posted by 92accordH23
        why do some lowering spring companys recommend you buy aftermarket struts?

because OEM shocks/struts cannot withstand being compressed when you drop your car w/ lowered springs. not only will it cause them to blow, your ride will feel terrible, and wil advance premature wear onto other suspension components.
        5.6L V8 32V DOHC
        JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

i agree ^

My winter project on day 1 !!

BUY MY PARTS !!!
          Stock hood , front seats , body kit (will seperate)

Comment

only reason why is bc the ride will be bad and yes it will increase the stress/wear on the suspension components and other parts.

as to struts blowing, 99% of the time they won't. i had the original struts on my car for up to 140,000miles and 40k were with the 4in drop, Nh roads, dropped 4in. for the mild drops the struts will blow bc then they really do have to compensate for the compression and the spring rate. when it all the way down or pretty close, no suspension travel lol therefore no worries bout blowing the strut, at least for a long time. kinda like common sense if u ask me!
            My members ride thread

Comment

if your getting performace springs and u keep the stock shocks, then your not getting 100% of the performance out of the springs. stock shocks just cant match up to an aftermarket shock in terms of stability etc.

dont get me wrong, i am on stock struts (well 40k on them) and eibach prokits (1.2'' drop) and you can feel that the struts are a bit on the soft side, at times just a bit too soft but work. from the time i got them to now (4 months) i can feel the struts actually dissipating. i should of went with new struts right away but i had no money, haha so i have to pay the price for installing new ones later....but cause i installed it its not much of a biggie for me.
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Originally posted by PRIMOCB7
                because OEM shocks/struts cannot withstand being compressed when you drop your car w/ lowered springs. not only will it cause them to blow, your ride will feel terrible, and wil advance premature wear onto other suspension components.
                hit that nail on the head, as usual! nice job francis

Comment

Originally posted by accrdpower
                  only reason why is bc the ride will be bad and yes it will increase the stress/wear on the suspension components and other parts.

as to struts blowing, 99% of the time they won't. i had the original struts on my car for up to 140,000miles and 40k were with the 4in drop, Nh roads, dropped 4in. for the mild drops the struts will blow bc then they really do have to compensate for the compression and the spring rate. when it all the way down or pretty close, no suspension travel lol therefore no worries bout blowing the strut, at least for a long time. kinda like common sense if u ask me!
                  ^^ i don't understand how you believe in your so-called theory. thats the worse info you can tell anyone about suspension. of course the stock shock/strut has no travel when its compressed on a 4in. drop.. ITS FULLY COMPRESSED AND BLOWN OUT ALREADY. so compressed, it wont even go back up after hitting bumps, dips, etc.. coz the lowering springs u have has them compressed more than its capable of its rebound rate; OEM shocks/struts are NOT made for lowered springs. and again, the ride aint comfortable, and you end up damaging related suspension parts.
                  5.6L V8 32V DOHC
                  JDM HERITAGE - US BUILT

Comment

Working...
                  X