Can't find the timing marks!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't find the timing marks!

I'm trying to check my timing and I can't find the marks. I've got the service terminal jumped and the timing light connected, but when I aim the light at the crank pulley I just can't see anything! Too many belts and junk in the way! So annoying...Where do I find these marks?

Alright, I found the timing inspection hole, now what marks am I supposed to line up? I found a picture that basically says to line up the white mark with the pointer. Is that right? To get those two marks to line up I have to pull the distributor all the way clockwise. That just doesn't sound right to me. Help me please!

Comment

Ok guys, I went out and tried to get my timing, and after a while of twisting the dizzy back and forth, I noticed a mark on the flywheel. Three lines, to be exact, and the middle line has 15 marked on it. I assume this is the timing mark I am looking for? I rotated the distributor until the mark on the block lined up with the bottom of these three lines. I did 2 pics in MS paint to help show what I mean. These drawings are horribly out of scale, I just did them up to show you what I saw and how I have my distributor adjusted now. The first pic represents those lines I saw and the second represents how I have it set now. Hope they make sens to you.

Comment

If you have a non-adjustable timing light, line it up with the red "15" mark.
        00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

The 15 degree mark didn't look red to me, it looked like it was black. Anyway, I see some webpages say Accord factory timing is 16-17 degrees. Like picture 2 shows, the pointer on the block is pointing at the bottom of those 3 marks. Since I rotated the distributor counter-clockwise to get it to that position, I assume the timing is now advanced? I took is out on the road after I tightened the distributor down and I didn't hear the slightest bit of pinging. Even with the engine only turning 1500 rpm at full throttle in 5th going up a hill I didn't hear any pnging, so I assume that it is set relatively close to where it should be set. It seems like it might be pulling a bit harder through 1st, 2nd and 3rd and about the same as before through 4th and 5th. I don't know what affect this will have on my somewhat poor fuel economy, but if you really think I should set it back to 15, then I guess I'll go out and bust my knuckles getting that bottom hold-down bolt loose again.

Comment

match it up with the 15, if i remember right stock factory is 15 degrees. so use your light and line that baby up twistin your dizzy. if you advance it to much you'll have to use higher octane or you'll ping...if you retard it your cause will lose HP.

Comment

On some Hondas the 15 degree mark is red, thats what i was saying. 15 degrees is what you want it set to.
              00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Working...
              X