Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatic Transmission shifts hard

Drain and fill done, it still does it.

BANG into reverse, okay into neutral, BANG into drive.

Holds each gear a long time before shifting.

Shifts aren't smooth.
    It really is a labor of love making a neglected CB7 with "normal wear and tear" into something worth being proud of.

Transmission Problem

Your Transmission is almost shot.

Soon to be "The Beast"

Comment

Does the Transmission slip?

Comment

The transmission does NOT slip. I read on a couple of other threads that the torque converter doesn't fully ingauge until the engine is warm. I noticed at 75 MPH the tach was running at 3200 to 3500 RPM's and the temp gauge was running just above the cold mark so I changed the thermostat. Now at 75 MPH the tach runs at 3000 RPM's and the shifting has smoothed out considerably. Something else needs to be cleaned, adjusted, or replaced, but I don't know what. The car only has 69,000 miles on it. The lady That owned it only lived 5 miles from work.
        It really is a labor of love making a neglected CB7 with "normal wear and tear" into something worth being proud of.

Comment

Originally posted by AcclipseH23
          Does the Transmission slip?
          mine does it that bad?

Comment

shit i got a auto too, 93' ex shifts crazy now , when i put the pedal to the floor and goes bang bang bang the goes rather then just goin, also it shakes when switchin gears sometimes, and sometimes when i tap the gas pedal the revs go up but the car dont move i hope i dont need a new trans im broke, cant someone help me pm plz

Comment

Originally posted by 93CB7
              The transmission does NOT slip. I read on a couple of other threads that the torque converter doesn't fully ingauge until the engine is warm. I noticed at 75 MPH the tach was running at 3200 to 3500 RPM's and the temp gauge was running just above the cold mark so I changed the thermostat. Now at 75 MPH the tach runs at 3000 RPM's and the shifting has smoothed out considerably. Something else needs to be cleaned, adjusted, or replaced, but I don't know what. The car only has 69,000 miles on it. The lady That owned it only lived 5 miles from work.
              hmm this makes me wonder if i am overcooling my transmission with my tranny cooler installed...

Formerly 91AccordExR33
              11.68 @ 127mph
              417whp/375wtq
              Sold: 8/2016

Comment

Originally posted by 93CB7
                Drain and fill done, it still does it.

BANG into reverse, okay into neutral, BANG into drive.
                Sounds like one of your Tranny mounts may be shot, be sure to check them out.
                It could also be a motor mount.
                So check those too...

Originally posted by 93cb7
                Holds each gear a long time before shifting.

Shifts aren't smooth
                From what gear (Or RPM) to what gear is it doing this...

Comment

mmmm guys check the mounts. the tranny mounts on the passagere mount and on a bracket that is conected to the engine mount.
                  second make sure that u use honda tranny fluid. DO NOT FLUSH the auto tranny.
                  second check and adjust the tranny cable.<<<< its going to be a bitch to adjust it. to short: the car will not have as much torque. will not downshift when u floor it, while changing gears its not going to be smoth.... and by the way the auto tranny of 90-97 accords its build that way. even with a adjusted cable its not goign to be as smooth as we want to.
                  now if u adjust the cable to be longer u will run into problems of shifting in high rpms. something like the first gear will shift at 3000rpm the second gear will shift at 3300rpm. and this is while crusing.

u just got to play with it for a day or two lol
                  that is what i did.

the tranny would shift its first geart at 2700rpm second geart at 2900rpm while cruising if want to accelerate fast but not floor it then the tranny should shift its first gear at 2900rpm and second gear at 3200rpm....
                  keep in mind if u floor it the tranny should downshift to lower gears. if it doesn't do that then u need to adjust the cable.
                  thats how i did it.
                  are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

I' m going to polish, wax, and vacuum the car tomorrow. Than the car goes into storage for the winter. I think I will take the car to the dealership for the transmission problem in the spring. I am going to look at the mounts tomorrow also.

Comment

I have a '93 10th Anniversary and it's my first older car. I notice the transmission shifts pretty abruptly (for my tastes anyway). I've had some friends say "that's just how Honda's shift." I don't think mine has the slipping you guys are talking about but I do notice that the car doesn't like to be in D3. I have to always keep it in D4. Like if I go from R to D3 and then step on the gas it's like it's still in neutral and takes a while to engage. It does NOT do this when I be sure to only go into D4. I notice the trans shifts more abruptly or rough when I'm in stop-and-go traffic. Any thoughts? Or maybe possible suggestions?

Also, I notice that when the car is at a standstill while still in gear (like when sitting at a stoplight) -OR- when the car is shifted into reverse it vibrates a lot. Again, I was told "that's what older Hondas do." Is this true? If not, any possible fixes?
                      Last edited by mysticbluemaui; 11-03-2005, 02:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X