• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cel

so i got a check engine light today... pulled the code its a code 12

it says: Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve
    Open or short in EGR valve circuit, defective EGR valve

(taken right from CB7tuner.com )

does that mean i have to replace the whole unit? i called for a price and i got 105 with a discount... anyone know more about this?

I'm assuming you already checked the connection to the EGR valve, but if you test to see if its getting power but not working then it is the valve... I didn't know those things are that expensive!

Comment

yea i checked the connection its getting power... its funny

i'll driv earound... the light wont come on for about 5-10 minutes

Comment

Maybe its just sticking? I don't know if thats possible,.... but maybe it works for a little then stops.... did you clean it? Are your ports clogged too?? That takes a lil bit of work to do, and I can't say for sure if it will fix the prob...

Comment

Originally posted by sj960
          Maybe its just sticking? I don't know if thats possible,.... but maybe it works for a little then stops.... did you clean it? Are your ports clogged too?? That takes a lil bit of work to do, and I can't say for sure if it will fix the prob...

i didnt clean it nope... i would have to replace the gasket if i pulled the whole thing off so i'm just gonna replace the whole thing when i have enough $$.. i'm not too sure about the ports either i was wondering the exact same thing... wouldn't hurt to try

Comment

I need to do that bad, my Nox emissions are NUTS!!! Like 2-3 times what they should be.... I wonder if thats making me run rich... (The clogged egr stuff)

Comment

EGR only opens at part throttle while cruising. If you stay on the throttle, it will never open, so you won't get the cel. It will open after a minute or so cruising on the freeway and if it doesn't, the sensor on top of the valve (EGR valve lift sensor) will report to the ECU and it will throw a 12. Could be the valve sticking, not getting enough vacuum to open, or a bad EGR lift sensor. Dirty ports won't cause a cel since the valve is opening and the sensor is detecting the open valve.

I had this problem when I got my swap done and I drove about 900 miles with it like that (Stockton, CA to Pomona, CA and back) with no problems other than the annoying yellow light on the dash. Mine turned out to be a wiring issue related to the swap so we were able to fix it relatively easily.
              Originally posted by Junior Smurff
              Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

so would you reccomend changing the whole thing? or testing for vaccum?
                sorry i'm a little confused on this

Comment

I guess do what u just said, check for vacuum, but again it could also be sticking... I hate the EGR, lol

Comment

Maybe snag one from a junkyard, the EGR valves aren't known to go bad very often. If you're fed up w/ the EGR, get a working valve so you don't get CEL's, and then make a block plate. I made one out of brass and tied the valve down to a coolant hose way down by the rear crossmember!!! Works awesome

Dan

Comment

so tomorrow i'm going to the bone yard... and picking up a new EGR valve... vaccum pressure was still good when i tested it so lets cross our fingers and hope this works!!

Comment

Working...
                      X