valve breather filter and oil catch can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

valve breather filter and oil catch can

I have spend 2 day researching the setup on the web and I have some question that I'm unsure of the answered and need your input.

THIS IS For a Turbo charged Car so my question is going to be a bit dificult to understand so bear with me.

1. I know there is 2 port on the valve cover one is for a breather valve and the other is an PCV valve. does the breather valve suck in air or flow air out?? Since I heard that Honda PCV uses positive crank crash pressure, so it must drawn in fresh air from the breather valve and then get suck out from the pcv valve to the manifold.

2. I have a breather air filter on the breather valve right now and the fume it release really stink up my whole engine bay and I can't even use the fan with fresh air or else it the smell get inside of the car, is that normal with the breather filter?? can I run a longer hose down to my bumper and have the air filter there so my car does not stink so mutch??

3. should the breather port on the valve cover be connected to either air intake side of the turbo?? since oil might might built up from that would I need a 2nd oil catch tank?? or would there be one oil catch can where I can connect both the breather valve and pcv valve?

4. Oil catch can.. beside being emssion legal, why would you not cap the PVC port on the manifold and have the oil catch can go to a small air filter?? Or The PCV valves do required vacum suction from the manifold to function so that why we stillrun the oil catch out line back to the manifold.

5. With turbocharge engine the pcv port on the manifold will be pressurized with boost since the pcv valve is a one way valve the vcrankcase does not get pressized with boost but what will hapen to the oil catch can?? I see some oil catcg can have a breather air filter on top, what uses does it do when there is vaccum/boost from the manifold. would it create a vaccum/boost leak?? or is it meant to use where you the pcv gas is release to the atmosphere and not going to the manifold?

.... I was just going to buy 2 cheap clear plastic fuel filter and be done with it, but after the research I'm really confused now. Sometime too much knowledge will drive you mad... thank for any help any1 can give..
    90 Accord Coupe LX, Stock JDM H22A Engine 10.6:1 - Stock Automatic LSD MPA1 Trans, JDM P13 Auto ECU + JDM P19 TCU. Tune with Greddy E-Manage Ultimate
    < 317WHP/227WTQ@11psi> B/W S256 turbo, Daily Driving on 93 pump gas - since 2006. Driving Turbocharged CB7 Accord since 2002.

Re: valve breather filter and oil catch can

Originally posted by blazen_accord

.... I was just going to buy 2 cheap clear plastic fuel filter and be done with it, but after the research I'm really confused now. Sometime too much knowledge will drive you mad... thank for any help any1 can give..
    Ain't that the truth. Anyways on to your questions:

1. The air breather is there to just filter the blow-by gasses from the engine. These blow-by gases are pushed out by the engine and putting the breather on just opens the door for the gasses and gives it an easy way out rather than the stock hose that connects to the intake and allows the gasses to build up inside intake system. Basically it releases the gasses instead of letting them circulate throughout the engine. I'm not to sure of the other question in here but i'll do my best. The PCV system takes out crankcase vapors by taking the air inside the intake manifold and feeding it inside the valve cover area. I think when ur at partial throttle it feeds fresh air inside and when the throttle is closed it excavates the blowby gases and such out into intake mani.

2. I've never had any prob with stinky gases with my breather filter. Check to make sure your pcv valve is still good by pulling it out and shaking it. If it rattles then its still good. Other than that i don't really know cause mine doesn't stink at all.
    Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

3. I think we're supposed to leave the pcv valve where it is. And that the only thing you should be changing around is re-routing the the breather to the actual oil catch tank. then running a line from the valve cover to the breather. Some catch tanks have 3 outlets. In that case run a line to the air intake side of the turbo. So the diagram should be like this for the 2 outlet catch tank.

Starting from the valve cover:
      Run a line from the valve cover to the oil catch tank. Then just put a breather valve on the 2nd outlet...done

4. Confusing

5. I think your confusing the two.
      Last edited by MRX; 02-18-2004, 03:48 AM.

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Thanks, ok let me clarify.. it a little more.

the breather valve on a stock motor will deposit oil and fume in from the crank case to the short/cold air intake tube before the throttle body. but it only deposit a small percentage compare to the PCV valve. The blow-by gases from the Crankcase will buildup
        and activate the pcv valve which open up and the intake manifold will suck thoses gases directly into the manifold for burning. The carbon and oily deposit from the PCV port is much greater then the breather port hoing to the intake piping. it like 5% vs 60%. Most cacer and pro who uses real oil catch can say it connected between the PCV valve and the intake manifold. Since if the PCV valve is stuck at open due to oily buildup, you will have ton of oil in your intake manifold, compare to a small oil-dirt deposite from the breather valve to the Throttle body.

Most people got them reverse and install oil catch can on the breather port instead of the PCV port. it helpful your short ram or CAI and TB will stay cleaner but your intake manifold are full of oily carbon buildup from the PCV.

The way honda PCV system work is drwaing in flesh air from the breather valve and mixed it with crankcase gases and then get sucked in the intake manfold through the PCV valve. Now people say if it an fresh air valve why do they get oily deposit on the TB and air intake tube. When the TB is close, there is very little or no vacum from the air intake pipe, during acceleartion, TB open and create big vacum and that pull out the oily gases on the breather valve, that where you get oily builup and the intake and TB.

Now I could be just complicating something that is very easy due to all the infomation I 'have gather. on N/A car it might just be a cleaness thing, but for FI a properly sealed PVC system can lower denation since the air/Fuel mixture is not contaminated and could run a few more psi safely due to the PVC system, I was told from long time turbo/supercharged people who are running 20psi+.

OK Maybe I been sniffing to much crankcase fume from my breather air filter... but the quest for engine knownledge required sacrifice, oHHHh look at the pretty color lol.....
        90 Accord Coupe LX, Stock JDM H22A Engine 10.6:1 - Stock Automatic LSD MPA1 Trans, JDM P13 Auto ECU + JDM P19 TCU. Tune with Greddy E-Manage Ultimate
        < 317WHP/227WTQ@11psi> B/W S256 turbo, Daily Driving on 93 pump gas - since 2006. Driving Turbocharged CB7 Accord since 2002.

Comment

I stumbled on this page by accident after reading this post. It has a lot of info on turbo and a couple things on the pcv valve. I hope this helps.

http://www.beesandgoats.com/boostfaq/g2icturbo.html#PCV

Comment

so i was partially correct i believe, i can't read it all right now but i'll come back

Comment

"Also be aware that a lean condition makes more heat. This can burn pistons, piston rings, valves, and destroy spark plugs"

sounds like somethin u did huh blazen

I can't believe i read that entire thing at work today...needlesstosay, i got absolutely no work done . Good info on a great find. and that should clear up any questions he has

Comment

Thank for the link, it sure helped alot. It not a big issue, but it help to understand it clearer.

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x
                  "Also be aware that a lean condition makes more heat. This can burn pistons, piston rings, valves, and destroy spark plugs"

sounds like somethin u did huh blazen

Nahhh I think my engine don't like me beating on it everynight like a bitch dame engine are like woman keep wanting me to spend more money.... to get a mere 30sec of fun

Comment

lol..........
                    NEED RAP BEATS.....

www.soundclick.com/akcidentaltrakz

Comment

Working...
                    X