alternator issues?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

alternator issues?????

ok guys i got another good ? for ya this evening....recently (3 weeks or so) i have heard a rumbliung/rattling sound comming from my engine bay after i got a service and had the dealer adjust my belts......at first i thought it was comming from the head but i have now isolated the noise to the ALTERNATOR. it has gotten progressively worse over the weeks. the sound is a rattling sound and it goes by the rpms....the slower the rpms the deeper the rattle, the higher the rpm the lighter the rattle. but anyway this is a 1 year old stock alternator. i did recently put on the UR pulley kit but that like was in october. the noise started after the dealer tightened the belts. now the alt belt seems wicked tight (lil if any give in belt)......could the honda dealership tightened the belt sooo much that they ruined the drive mechanism of the alt? any clues as to what this could be? i hope i gave u guys enough info on this. TY
    My members ride thread

Hmm, I should hope that they didn't overtighten your alt. belt, the bearings in the alt. wouldn't like that I don't think There should be some deflection in the belt. On a new belt w/ A/C, there should be 3/16" to 5/16" deflection (according to Haynes). Maybe see if you can get that amount of deflection out of it.

Dan

Keep us updated, I wish I could help more. I'd say loosen the belt some and see how it sounds.

Comment

i doubt a honda dealrship would screw up something that simple. (should of done this yourself).....very easy. i would try losening the belt and see if that does anything for ya if its not already to late, if its to lose it will slip. but are you sure its nothing to do with any of your pulleys? good luck. and if they did overtighten the belt bring it back and have them give u a new alt.

Comment

grrr yea i am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the pulleys bc it only on the alternator which was the same size and configuration as the stock one just wayyy lighter. as to doing it myself, yea i just had it for a service and just told them to do it while they were in there. but i will def loosin it a bit and see if that helps.....if not argh AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i'mma gonna go insane. and u bet i will tell them do gimme a new alt if they fucked it up. ty u guys!
        My members ride thread

Comment

Originally posted by accrdpower
          grrr yea i am pretty sure it has nothing to do with the pulleys bc it only on the alternator which was the same size and configuration as the stock one just wayyy lighter. as to doing it myself, yea i just had it for a service and just told them to do it while they were in there. but i will def loosin it a bit and see if that helps.....if not argh AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH i'mma gonna go insane. and u bet i will tell them do gimme a new alt if they fucked it up. ty u guys!
          hell yea. but the sooner the better. dont wait to long. good luck.

Comment

Working...
          X