weight reduction or new car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weight reduction or new car?

im having second thoughts about my car now. i rode with a friend yesterday. he has a 93 gsr making the same power as me with less torque, but its so much damn faster. while moving, he loses traction in 2nd when vtec hits... i want that.

only reason is because his is lighter. what can i do to reduce weight, exluding stripping the interior... i want all my seats and carpeting. if i cant make this car lighter im seriously considering getting a 3rd gen integra shell and moving everything over.

one more quicky. im making 195whp right now. what would be faster...
    my car now with a skunk manifold and 70mm tb

or

my car now, minus 200-300lbs(teggy weighs in the 2600's)

yea i kinda figured that, sucks though.

well, what would be faster?

2900lb w/215hp
    or
    2700lb w/195hp

now that i think about it, the integra wouldnt be a ton lighter because of the fact that part of its lower weight is due to the fact that it has a 1.8 stock. how much heavier is a h22 than a b18? i have no idea about engine weights.

Comment

Find 2point6, havent seen him in a minute. His car was like 2300 lbs with an interior. At least talk to him before you make your final decision. I know of a shop that does weight reduction for hondas. I was going to call them up one day and see what they do with 4th gens. If you want i can call them up tomorrow.

Comment

yea man, thatd be great. thanks. keeping my interior is a must. if i wanted a stripped car to go fast id just dump my motor in a eg like everyone else... but i prefer a big car that goes fast.

Comment

Ok i'll will give them a call tomorrow. I am very curious myself, even though i will keep it regardless.

Comment

yea, i have decided to keep my car, i love it. guess ill just have to either lose a little weight or just make more power(which would be more fun). i wont have alot of money for a while to do what i want, but i figured in the long run, i will want my car over any other.

on a side note, what kind of difference would i get hp-wise if i put in 11.5 pistons?

Comment

Well I do remember one thing 2.6 did. He said he took off all the heat shielding for his exhaust. You could spray some high temp paint on there just to be safe but he didn't do any of that. Also like it was said strip out your trunk. You can also take all the power steering and/or air condition. If you take those out and all the necessary hoses and all that would be around 75 lbs I would think. If you want your carpet just take it out, remove all the tar coating stuff under it which weighs a decent amount and then reinstall the carpet without that. If you do all of that it would easily take off 150 - 200 lbs. Carbon fiber hood is good for about 20 - 25 lbs off I think. One more thing I nearly forgot... It's not just the weight of your car, but the weight on your drivetrain is even more important. If you have anything bigger than a 16" rim then you are killing your acceleration a little bit right there especially if they are heavy.... remember a wider rim also has a wider tire which weighs a lot more too. You could also look into getting a lightweight flywheel if you don't have one. I would definitely recommend getting one.
              Last edited by Fearit22; 02-24-2004, 03:34 AM.

Comment

you can replace the windows with plexi-glass and get a carbon fiber hood and trunk lid that should save you some weight
                R.I.P. Cb7 4/27/05
                My members ride page
                Official Ebay Whore Crew #1

Comment

thats a good idea with the heat shields. although i will spray it with hightemp paint, i dont want to take any chances. i do want to get a new flywheel, but im waiting on that until i need a new clutch. i plan on getting a cf hood real soon, but that i know of a trunk lid isnt made yet.

i cant do much about the rims. right now i have my 17's with 215/45's. and i use those daily. i have some steelies with azenis, but i dont want to use those all the time... theyre so ugly. and of course, getting new rims isnt an option, i just bought a set. and ive yet to see a light weight set that i like anyways.

Comment

I say lose the weight. first of all I highly doubt a 20whp gain from im and tb. also being lighter helps in more then one way, yea you can accelerate faster, but also decelarate faster, and the car just feels different and you can tell. also I think that your friends car may not be as fast as you think. you should both go to the track and see what you get. Even though his may feel faster I don't think it would be 'so much damn faster' btw, steelies with azenis is probably one of the heaviest combinations you could possibly have. your 17" wheel/tire combo may even be lighter.
                    HSHO #3

Comment

Yeah, you aren't going to get that much from those. Especially since you have an H22 to begin with ... you have to remember that engine is built better performance wise from the factory so really you would probably be looking at more like 10 whp if that. I think I'm going to remove my heat shielding too. I just got some 1000 degree paint from home depot. It's only like 6-7 bucks for a big can of it.

Comment

i kno what u mean. once i lite-n my car second gear became nasty. at first when i shift to 2nd it would have a delay.
                        once i lost weight, i shift to 2nd it felt perfect, spun an everything.
                        get somethings that will boost the accelaration. like the TB, etc.

it will help out alot.

for weight, u can remove the plat out the back seat ( the part the folds down has a plate in it) u just have to take it apart.
                        carpet, u can remove it but still have carpet.

take out the whole carpet and install universal carpet, i brought this from walmart for 8bux a roll, 2 rolls will recarpet the whole accord. only like 2pounds total probably.

empty the trunk ofcorse, of things u really dont need in it.

and get rid of things might not use, like cruise control if u dont use it.
                        NEED RAP BEATS.....

www.soundclick.com/akcidentaltrakz

Comment

I gave them a call today. They were talking about cutn doors and shit. The kind of stuff that is'nt for the street. I already have aftermarket carpet. I knew that you could do something with the back seat like gutting it but I wasnt sure. I remember 2point6 said that he removed the bumper reinforcement but im not to sure i wanna do something like that, i might though if it boils down to it.

Comment

not sure if you removed the a/c already or not but if you did then you should also remove the brace that the a/c was bolted to. it serves no purpose. also not sure if there is a carbon fiber trunk for our gen yet , but I do know there are carbon fiber fenders out. Thats what I want.
                            FS: BNIB MFactory FD $650, PM me.

Comment

keep the accord,integras are nice but keep it.you wont gain nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X