from internal to external coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

from internal to external coil

Hey everyone i need some good info on how to change my internal coil over to an external before i hit the hay tonight to rest. Anyone have pics of how they did it step by step so far ive opened up the cap took out the coil done there are two wires the negative and the positive wire. Now the the two wires are one is black with a yellow stripe and the other is yellow with a green strip the shit is faded somewhat . But anywho which wire connects up to what wire on the stock harness??????

Don't know if this helps. If it does, maybe YOU'LL be the one that makes a DIY with pix. This is from my Helms (for a '91):

The first diagram at the back of the book shows the Black/Yellow leading eventually to the under dash fuse box, a 15A fuse and then "IG1" at the ignition switch. Would that mean that Black/Yellow is the positive connection for the coil?

BTW the Black/Yellow also goes to the igniter; looks like ya wanna keep that for the igniter ...

The other wire for the coil is White/Blue. It goes to the igniter. This is the coil's negative??

The rest:
    The Yellow/Green wire you mentioned comes from the igniter and goes to PGM-FI ECU.

You should also see a Blue wire; it goes to "Engine Mount Control Unit+Tach+Cruise+A/T Control Unit" --- mean anything to you?

There's a ground that leaves the distributor but it's connected to the igniter, not the coil.

And then there are 6 wires for 3 sensors, Cyl, Crank and TDC.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

search
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=27672
      www.2camcrew.com

Comment

That thread doesn't address how to do it with OEM parts, such as a distributor from a later CB7 or CD5.

On the other hand, it does describe extending the two wires from the igniter out to an external coil.

Comment

With OEM parts? All you're doing is extending wires. Buy a new MSD cap and rotor cause they're cheap and you're replacing them anyways.
          It's pretty straight forward. I hope my pics help. The bitch part is routing the wires out of the cap, and try not to strip any screws.
          And while anyone is reading, is there anything I should add or change to the DIY?
          Last edited by uslspct; 01-09-2006, 04:12 AM.
          Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
          -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
          MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

I can't think of anything to add to the DIY. But my big mystery has been how to substitute a 92-93 (or CD5's) distributor. In other words, is there a way to have all the wires done cleanly with stock wiring when using the later distributor. I'm guessing that the harnesses wouldn't exactly match up ... maybe if I also had a 92-93 Helms I could figure it out.

If a 90-91 distributor goes bad and you can't find a cheap used one, they're expensive to replace << that's sort of the angle I was working from.

Comment

well jdmkid i did search if what your replying it still doesnt seem explanitory to me because i have a different coil btw than that i dont have the blaster i have the ss guy.

Comment

Blaster, SS, same thing just different appearances. Now I wish I had the SS. Read MSD's pdf's, they were very helpful and have some drawings too.
                Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
                -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
                MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

Working...
                X