flex pipe leak??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flex pipe leak??

Just installed my stainless steel 2pc 4-2-1 header. when i started it up everything sounded fine. then when i started revin it started to sound like shit. at first i thought it was coming from between the header and downpipe but i couldnt hear it from the engine bay so i looked under the car and told my friend to rev it and it sounded like it was leaking through the flexpipe..and i noticed it smells like crap! when i drive around town without giving too much gas you cant really hear it but when i punch it you can hear the hissing sound from under the car. i was wondering if its possible to just replace the flexpipie ?
    92 DA9 // 93 D21 4x4 // 92 CB7

My stock flex pipe leaks too but I don't hear anything as harsh as you describe. The only way to fix the problem is replace the whole pipe. They do have exhaust patch but I doubt that'll work for a flex pipe, you just have to replace the whole down pipe, the stock name for it is called A PIPE, its just another name for the flex pipe/down pipe.
    Last edited by thatsitbelowradarSTL; 04-17-2004, 03:15 PM.
    Originally posted by fizzbob7 i think the "jdm everything" craze is funny........it's the same thing, a fad.......and an overpriced one at that
    Originally posted by uncle_el believe it or not, this forum is not about you or your post count. it's about providing relevant information and exchanging it with one another, in order to help build a community. if you don't like that, please leave.

Comment

So i cant get a new flexpipe welded back on there??

Comment

Fix it the ghetto way and go to auto zone, buy a flexible muffler repair pipe and a couple clamps, walla!

I wasnt really serious

My song of the week (or till I change it): Snow Patrol - Take Back The City

Comment

anyone else have anything to say?? need to fix this asap!

Comment

quick fix is wrapping it with that wrap to fix mufflers...just make sure oil doesnt get on it cuase it will cause a fire if there is alot.

or find someoen parting that part out.
            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

wait there is supposed to be a gasket between the header and that flex pipe...the old one wont seal any more...did u change that? or at least remove the old oen and put a new gasket?
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

wait...so theres a gasket between the downpipe and the flex pipe?

Comment

well at every joint there is a gasket. haha the old ones dont even look like its in there. when i worked on my exaust i was scared of a leak but never can find my gasket. i found it and it looked apart of the exaust itself. i peeled it out of there and it was flat, i put in a new round one and i was set.

some exausts i know of like tanabe comes with a gasket seal.

maybe the sound is comming from that joint...i would check again and start revvin and listen around that area where the header joins the thing..or put ur hand around the area or a piece of paper to see or feel if there is air comming out where it s houldnt.

Retro!

Hater

Comment

i have the same problem but all that meshy looking stuff around my flex pipeis off,my car sounds like a truck,lol seriously,its rediculously loud,i am getting it fixed soon,so those are welded on?damn.

Comment

Ummmm went to one of my local muffler shops and they said it wasnt a leak and that i should just leave for like 2weeks then the noise will go away?? im pretty sure its a leak...so 2morro im going to the other local muffler shop and have them check it out...also what if i use that header wrap stuff on my flexpipe?? will that work??

Comment

I know you can go on JCwhitney and buy a universal flex pipe for like $40.00. I also saw an "aftermarket flex pipe", yeah right, for our cars on Ebay today but now I can't find it.

I would suggest buy the flex pipe on JC Whitney and getting the flanges welded on. This was what I was going to do with my old accord and instead sold the motor and parted out the car.
                        Last edited by pwrd_v_tec1990; 03-02-2004, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X