Alternator maybe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator maybe?

So over the past week i noticed that my windows were going done much more slowly than normal and then the other night while driving my defrost stopped working followed by the tach, speedo, radio, all lights dimmed and no acceleration, then finally just died. I had it jumped and it wouldnt engauge out of park (i have an auto). Then i had it in neutral and it started after a jump but as soon as the headlights came on, it died again and wouldnt come out of park with the key in the ignition and foot on the brake. Now it won't start even with a jump. I'm thinking it's the alternator but your guy's advice would be very helpful.
    Thanks

Check battery first, it might not be accepting a charge anymore.... Make sure there is at least 12.2v (thats a low number 12.6 is ideal) on your battery when sitting there, when the car is running (if u can get it to run again) the voltage should be above 14...
    If less than 12.2, replace or have the battery recharged (if it will even charge, most likely not based on your symptoms).... when runnign if its not 14, replace the alternator.

Comment

Originally posted by OregonAccord
      So over the past week i noticed that my windows were going done much more slowly than normal and then the other night while driving my defrost stopped working followed by the tach, speedo, radio, all lights dimmed and no acceleration, then finally just died. I had it jumped and it wouldnt engauge out of park (i have an auto). Then i had it in neutral and it started after a jump but as soon as the headlights came on, it died again and wouldnt come out of park with the key in the ignition and foot on the brake. Now it won't start even with a jump. I'm thinking it's the alternator but your guy's advice would be very helpful.
      Thanks
      SEARCH, but im going to say its your alternator because of the fact the car just died, if it was a bad battery it would NOT have shut off like that becuase the alternator alone can power the car. Just hook up a volt-meter and test it.
      My H22A SWAP JOURNAL

Members Ride

Comment

Trust me, the battery can definitely make your car shut off like that... it happened to me before... once in my car and once in a friends car.... the battery robs all the power from the alt...

Comment

had it towed to the shop today. And it was the alternator. Supposedly only half of it was there, the other halof must have fell off. Strange stuff.

Comment

had it towed to the shop today. And it was the alternator. Supposedly only half of it was there, the other halof must have fell off. Strange stuff.
            And it took you a week to realize this, even after you suspected it.
            I'd like to know how the alternator could have fallen apart and no-one notice it.
            I know this is a great place to get advice, and to converse with other avid CB7 enthusiasts, but it seems like some people are just too fucking lazy to open they're eyes and sort it out for themselves.
            Unless you are deaf, dumb & blind with severe brain damage, use some basic commonsense first if you want us to help you out to fix it yourself. Otherwise tow it straight to a Shop.
            Threads like this is the exact reason Cisco wrote the POSTING RULES!!! Announcement.
            I know this may sound a bit harsh but it may be the only way some people will learn.

Comment

Only 1/2 was there?? the other 1/2 fell off,,,,,,did you see the old alternator??

Wow this has to be either the weirdest thing or the biggest bullshit i have ever heard.. In all my years with Hondas i have never , never seen an alternator come apart and fall off, i have seen frt pulleys fall off , but 1/2 of the alternator ????? ..MMMM that does not sound right..
              Nice Asses I Like
              Smart asses I don't

Comment

Originally posted by deserthonda
                In all my years with Hondas i have never , never seen an alternator come apart and fall off..MMMM that does not sound right..
                Not just Honda's, any car period, Not in 26 Years!!!

Comment

Originally posted by F22-GURU
                  Not just Honda's, any car period, Not in 26 Years!!!
                  You like to bash people huh?
                  Fix your Computer!

Originally posted by MikeW
                  D, I'm a fanciful motherfucker. My ish is clean, quick, plush, mature and sophisticated.

┌─┐
                  ┴─┴
                  ಠ_ರೃ

Comment

Originally posted by Masamune
                    You like to bash people huh?

Yeah, and fuckin' good at it too! What of it?

Comment

First of all, I only asked where the problem could be coming from. The alternator was missing brackets and a few bolts on the underside which was enough to make in inoperable. Shit shouldn't just fall off all by itself. If the whole thing was gone then thats noticable. Get off your high horse.

Comment

And I repeat..

Originally posted by F22-GURU
                        ... but it seems like some people are just too fucking lazy to open they're eyes and sort it out for themselves.
                        Unless you are deaf, dumb & blind with severe brain damage, use some basic commonsense first if you want us to help you out to fix it yourself. Otherwise tow it straight to a Shop.
                        So what part of that didn't you understand.

Comment

Working...
                        X