oil leak around filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leak around filter

ok i noticed today that i have a bad oil leak around my oil filter.

now before i go replacing the filter and oil (i have little to no money atm), i need to know if there are any other possible sources of an oil leak, near the oil filter.

i probably double gasketed my filter on my last change, but its gone 1000 miles on this oil and it just recently went low on oil.

oil filter is on tight, so it hasnt backed off any.

i need help with this fast, i gotta work tomorrow

thanks in advance guys

auto or manual? might be the oil filter o ring

Comment

You need to change your oil and your filter or you're not diagnosing a problem correctly. If you think you know what the problem is, and especially when it's something involving maintenance that you would do anyways, go ahead and do it. Then if it turns out it wasn't the problem, the only damage you've done is an oil change. When you put your new filter on, put a light coat of oil on the new ring before putting it onto the filter. And also make sure an old ring didn't get stuck up there on the block.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

yes i know to put light oil on the ring

it is possible that the old ring is stuck in there.

but here is my situation...its a bad one.

im in college, i make 7.50 an hour, i just paid alot of bills

i have 20 bucks in the bank.

if the issue is not with the oil filter gasket, then i have no money to spend on other parts.

i just need to know if there are any other locations where this could be coming from, i will inspect both carefully, then proceed from there.

thanks for replying

Comment

Do you use Synthetic or regular dyno oil?

Seeing you have $20 left in your account i cant picture you using synthetic, or i could be wrong...

:::Run the car.

Inspect the underbody of the car, see where it is dripping/leaking...it could be some other place instead of the oil filter, perhaps a seal or gasket...again, if you're using synthetic, synthetic eats through many seals/gaskets and leaks a bit...
          It could be trans fluid too...

good luck man. Let us know.

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
          1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

Check The Oil Pressure Switch above the Oil Filter.

Comment

I had a pretty massive leak everynight when I'd go out to my car. Im getting a new engine soon so I dont really care where its coming from..its not causing the car to run bad. Anyway...I changed the oil and used mobil 1 high milage (its suppose to recondition the seals and gaskets etc) and ran some seafoam thru the car and theres almost no leak anymore.

Comment

i've seen valve cover leaks that make it seem like oil filter....did u put the filter on by hand or with a wrench, hopefully by hand since u should only take a filter off w/ a wrench....how big of a spot of oil do u have under your car.....
                93 Accord- SOLD
                94 Civic- F22a1 Swap, current DD

Comment

it was some of that semi synthetic, i switched back to regular dyno oil

dad paid for the oil for me, to save me some money to eat with (get paid friday, yay)

i did not double gasket the last filter, but i dont know if it was on tight enough

new one is on hand tightened (by my dad, he is stronger) so its on there good now.

the puddle was about 2 tablespoons id say, but once the car cooled down the leak stopped.

we will just have to see how it goes

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=40455

Check out my thread. I had the same leak problem recently.

Comment

i gave my car a nice hard drive after i changed the oil filter and such, came back home, didnt smell any burning oil on my exhaust pipes, when i leave for work ill check for an oil spot on the ground.

i think that oil filter i had before didnt seat right, or that part synthetic oil was just leaking past the filter when the pressure built up.

it only leaked after i drove the car for a bit, so thats what made me think that.

Comment

Originally posted by 93cb7sedan
                        , or that part synthetic oil was just leaking past the filter when the pressure built up.

it only leaked after i drove the car for a bit, so thats what made me think that.
                        Yeah you cant trust that synthetic stuff it will do anything to escape from the engine.

Comment

im lifting the car up today to clean up the block and get all the oil off.

i dont know if i fixed the leak or not, since when i came outside there was a small puddle again...not too much tho.

im thinkin the oil that was all over the block coulda leaked down after it warmed up from last nights drive.

my motor does not have the oil cooler on it, so its not that.

and my dipstick almost always reads my levels wrong, so i think i have a clogged oil passage as well.

im at a loss of ideas

Comment

this may sound crazy, but my friends f22a4 filter was on so tight that it had backed out the oil filter banjo bolt(bolt that the oil filter screws to) so when putting on an everyday filter it wouldnt fit! we could use either a pzi-33(not pz-33) or an k&n oilfilter for the accord, but later i realized it needed to be threaded back into the block a little, now no problems, except the spun bearing from running it out of oil! Oh well he did auto-man swap with a a1 and i got that crap engine to add to my collection!

WaC!

Comment

i have an idea...

ill just blow the motor up, let insurance buy a new one, i think 500 dollar deductable, paying it back in payments, would be easier than taking this to a mechanic and paying them.

im just not mechanically smart enough to do some of these things, i have a helms and all that, but just dont know enough personally to do this.

Comment

Working...
                              X