02 sensor stuff...i think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

02 sensor stuff...i think

alright, so i did some searchin on the net and on the forum as well as on another forum i use for my other car and ive come to conclude that my 02 sensor is fucked and causing all these problems, mainly the rough idle, the gas smell and the hesitations the car gets with anything under 3000RPM. And plus my check engine light only comes on about 10-15sec after starting the car, which is a pretty good indication of a faulty o2 sen...they take time to heat up, so it wont set a check light untill it warms up...correct me if im wrong for assuming this? 9 out of 10 times, a check light is O2 sen related is what ive heard too.

Now ive got some questions:

1) how many o2 sensors do i have on my car? 1 or 2? (ive got a 1991 exr btw, i know nothing about this car or honda for that matter, this is my first honda and i just got the car about 7 weeks ago and ive had so many problems with it already it was supposed to be "reliable" haha)

2) Where is the o2 sensor on my car? i cant see it on top of the headers , so im assuming it's on the bottom, but is it before or after the CAT or is it still on the bottom half of the headers? (that sucks cause it's winter, snowing and it's fucking cold and i don't have a garage, so im probably goin to have to pay someone to change it for me)

3) What kind to get? Bosch, OEM, or cheap OEM replace part?

Thanks

Apparently you didn't do all THAT much searching if you think you have multiple oxygen sensors. OEM is the way to go... Actually a lot of the problems you have do not sound like the Oxy sensor at all. The scent of gas, hesitations, etc, sound more like EGR related. The oxygen sensor actually does nothing at all until the car is warmed up, so if the CEL light is present only 15 seconds after start up, you'd better get the code out of the ECU and find out what the real problem is. Since you've done all this "searching," i'm sure you probably already know how to pull the code.....

Comment

Originally posted by wrichards2005
      The oxygen sensor actually does nothing at all until the car is warmed up, so if the CEL light is present only 15 seconds after start up,
      O2 sensor has it's own heater, and if operating correctly, is at 600F in under 20 seconds, and in closed loop.
      2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
      Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
      1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

Originally posted by SteveB
        O2 sensor has it's own heater, and if operating correctly, is at 600F in under 20 seconds, and in closed loop.

Thats how it works in a nut shell! I was right even though its been a while...

and wrichards2005, from what ive read, on the net and everywhere else, my problems do sound like o2 related...as for searching, i spent a good 2 hours doing that today. But theres not much on this site, as it's filled with a lot of info from people who don't know much of what they are talking about and rather just filled with "experienced" stuff which is cool and all, everyone has gota learn somewhere, but theres a lot of crap on this site that doesnt really help with this kind of tech. stuff. People describe their problems and other reply with solutions for the similiar problems they have had. Thats essentially what a forum is, right?!
        As for the accord having multiple o2 sensors, i didnt know, that's why i asked, i didnt see any thread that mentioned it only having one or two. I dont have a henes or bentley for this car either. Also, this site actually doesnt have much for this kind of a problem. Maybe if YOU searched you would know that right? Another thing, no o2 sensor only works when the car is warmed up. If thats what you heard, it's bull shit, get your facts right bud. They take anywhere from 15-30secs to warm up then start working and varies with each car and each type of o2 sensor. Some use a 2 wire system, some 3 and some 4. And yea since i did all this "searching" i do know how to get the codes. I also found a thread on what they mean too. But i don't have what i need to pull the codes without a working car. I just got this car about 8 weeks ago now, and im new to honda, but not to cars. Im a licensed apprentice still in the training process before becoming fully licensed and certified, so yea i know a lot more technical crap then a lot of people, but i don't know it all. And from what i remember from class labs, these symptoms are more than likely o2 sen. related. I don't have a fluke meter or volt meter for that matter to test it either. Sorry for asking a stupid question to piss you off, but don't go assuming i dont know shit and i didnt do any searching. If this is how you reply to threads by being a jack ass know it all, you probably have offened a lot of people and make them not want to post again or feel stupid because of you and others like you. So why don't you try and not be a jack ass and actually try and be nice about it? Im sure this might all be old news for you or youve seen these kinds of questions before, but be nice about it or just dont reply. Bitch at me and ill bitch back at you Im not a jack ass nor am i mean to people, ill give my input if i know or have experience with whatever the issue is, but even if it has been covered over and over again, ill still be nice about it. I know im being rude right now to you, no offense, but honestly bud, take it easy! this is supposed to help people and gain knowledge and stuff but we dont need grumpy people like you who think they know it all. Have a great day!

Comment

See my other thread on CEL 41.
          Decent NTK O2's are availabe at Part Source, just gotta have them order them.
          2003 Maxima SE Titanium Edition
          Polished Titanium ext, heated black leather int, heated leather steering wheel, HIDs, 255bhp, 6 speed, 15% tint.
          1993 Suzuki GSX1100F 136bhp

Comment

alright an update.

i did change my O2 sensor. It solved the CEL and the odd hesititions and such. I changed the valve cover gasket too along with the spark plugs and SP wires too. Last thing to get is a ignition coil and im set for now!

Comment

Working...
            X