Overfilling oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overfilling oil

Since I moved down to Cali from Oregon I lost the abilility to use my friends shop to change my own oil. So I must rely on quickie lubes to get my oil changed. While I hate paying more than twice the price of doing it myself, the assholes always seem to overfill it by a quart or so.

So my question is this. Is this going to cause any major damage? It never seems to be overfilled more than a quart. I had it changed recently at a Honda delearship because I thought the would do it right. Guess I was wrong.
    "the J32a2 should be considered one of Honda's masterpieces..." Honda Tuning, July 2006

bring it back and tell them to take some out.

really a quart over is a bit too much. what happends is that the shaft churns the oil and then it creates bubbles. this lessens the life of the oil and oxidizes it much quicker.

dont do it, take a quart out. better, change the oil, drain completley and fill.
    What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Why not just do it yourself? That way you save money, and more importantly, you know that the job is done right. I think of my car like I do my girlfriend.....NOBODY touches her but me!
      00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

Re: Overfilling oil

Originally posted by accordme93
        Since I moved down to Cali from Oregon I lost the abilility to use my friends shop to change my own oil. So I must rely on quickie lubes to get my oil changed. While I hate paying more than twice the price of doing it myself, the assholes always seem to overfill it by a quart or so.

So my question is this. Is this going to cause any major damage? It never seems to be overfilled more than a quart. I had it changed recently at a Honda delearship because I thought the would do it right. Guess I was wrong.
        Am I allowed to do that? Guess it couldn't hurt.

To answer someone elses question, I can't change it myself of believe me I would. I don't have to tools like I used to. It really sucks because I can't change things like my oil and spark plugs, etc.
        "the J32a2 should be considered one of Honda's masterpieces..." Honda Tuning, July 2006

Comment

I checked my oil level this morning and it was right on. So that is a relief.

I've got another question though. Can overfilling the oil cause your oil pan to leak? I know the F22s are nortorious for leaking at the oil pan, but I was wondering if overfilling can speed up the process?

Comment

yeah take that extra oil out quickly thats why my engine is dead now too much pressure all internals are blown now the engine gotta be replaced but will be back on road soon
            20% tint, 2.5" nuespeed springs,full out n1 catback exhaust, 53" double deck black aluminum spoiler,custom interior lights, euro clear corners, side markers, clutch masters stage 2 cltuch, matrix intake, MORE MODS TO COME SOON. She's up and running again just put new engine in.
            (I WILL NOT LOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Comment

how much is 1 qt over filled look like on the dipstick?

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
              "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
              "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

If it's above the top dot (or other 'top' indicator) you should prob take out about a quart and recheck, and btw this thread is very hard to read/understand with all the posts deleted out of it

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                where you been, is something wrong?
                i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

alright ill check it again in the morning and make any adjustments necessary.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
                  "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
                  "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

mine was overfilled a quart the last time honda did i. it was a couple of mm above the dot... but it burned away after about 2000 miles

Comment

Originally posted by accordaffair
                      and btw this thread is very hard to read/understand with all the posts deleted out of it
                      Agreed....I was trying to figure out how he kept quoting someone who hadnt posted, then realized all his posts must have been deleted.

Why were they deleted?

Comment

Working...
                      X