Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ghetto, I know. Header wrap on my flexpipe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ghetto, I know. Header wrap on my flexpipe?

After hangin out under my car I noticed the insulation around my flexpipe had basically disappeared. Being the cheap bastard that I am, I was wondering if I could buy some header wrap to seal it off. Would it catch fire?

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Considering Header Wrap is for Heat Insulation you shouldn't have any probs.
    Header Wrap is designed to withstand the hottest part of the exhaust and if it catches fire then it wasn't header wrap you put on.
    What you have to work out is why the insulation is missing, assuming you are talking about the Flex-pipe Mesh. Only way the Mesh goes AWOL on the Pipe is due to the Scraping when dropped. My car is not that low (80mm Clearance) and my stock down pipe is just about worn right through. I'm in the process of fitting new Headers and Hi-Flow cat. So It looks as though I might be getting a bit more scraping.

Comment

IMO, I don't think it's ghetto, I think it'll work just fine if wrapped tight. Good luck and make it work when you've got nothing else

Comment

Cheers to frugality and ingenuity!!!! I'm gonna hit my local parts store soon...

Originally posted by lordoja
        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Lemme know how it goes. My flex pipe is bascially gone. I'll post pics of it later.

Comment

Originally posted by Granite CB7
            IMO, I don't think it's ghetto, I think it'll work just fine if wrapped tight. Good luck and make it work when you've got nothing else
            Granite CB7 is right. It can also help emissions with the Exhaust Wrapped in Header Wrap.
            It's designed to dissipate the heat back through into the exhaust gases instead of out through the pipes.
            The hotter the exhaust gases the more chances of left over combustion gases being completely burnt.
            Plus any object within heating distance won't be as hot like the Engine Sump, Floor Pan, Rubber Components or Fuel Pipes etc.

Comment

^Thanks Guru, you always bring soooo much info to the table Someone on here mentioned a cheap header that was wrapped, the header pretty much broke into many pieces BUT the header wrap held it all together and kept the flow, as if it were piping itself.

I'm interested to see how it turns out Glory

Comment

header wrap is not ghetto that shit is expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by 93EXaesthetic
                  header wrap is not ghetto that shit is expensive.
                  I'd say bad idea all together. I have had header wrap on for almost 6 months, i have it wrapped on my entire header. I would not wrap the flex because of rain and snow. It is not meant to get wet and honestly you could really f it up. Just my piece of advice. There is specific wrap for exhaust components (not in the engine bay) that will fix a flex pipe. I recommend just gettinga new flex pipe, it's not that much money and it's worth it IMO. Check out my member's ride link, I have it on page 2 or 3 I believe a pic of my header wrapped.

And yes, header Wrap is not ghetto, it is exspensive compared to other modifications.
                  My Member's Ride Thread, Comments Welcome!!!

Comment

I always fig'd that if it did get wet, the heat from the exhaust in the header/downpipe would evaporate the water very quickly

Comment

Originally posted by Nycxeracer
                      I'd say bad idea all together. I have had header wrap on for almost 6 months, i have it wrapped on my entire header. I would not wrap the flex because of rain and snow. It is not meant to get wet and honestly you could really f it up. Just my piece of advice. There is specific wrap for exhaust components (not in the engine bay) that will fix a flex pipe. I recommend just gettinga new flex pipe, it's not that much money and it's worth it IMO. Check out my member's ride link, I have it on page 2 or 3 I believe a pic of my header wrapped.

And yes, header Wrap is not ghetto, it is exspensive compared to other modifications.
                      My problem is that I cannot for the life of me find a flex pipe that fits. Apparently, the guy who owned my cb7 before me re-did the exhaust with parts off God knows what car. I paid $75 for a stock 92 Accord EX flex pipe, and it was short 3 inches from the cat. I had the store owner go thru his whole inventory of flex pipes and none were long enough. So I'll have to wrap it until I re-do whole exhaust using oem parts, or at least parts made for my car like a Greddy SP2.

Comment

Just go to shea stadium, $65 for a generic flex pipe welded in. Dont waste your time wrapping things on the flex pipe. It will only tear anyway because the flex pipe is already torn and will rip it as well.

The Greddy SP2 is a catback, so a flex pipe is not included. Flex pipes come with an aftermarket header.

Comment

I forgot where you can get it but it is special tape made just for the exhaust system.. I used it on my muffler when I had a hole in it. (its cheaper then header wrap)
                          Last edited by Shippo; 03-04-2006, 11:18 PM.
                          Hi, I'm Shippo and I have a problem. I keep buying CB7's.

Comment

Originally posted by Sho Nuff
                            Just go to shea stadium, $65 for a generic flex pipe welded in. Dont waste your time wrapping things on the flex pipe. It will only tear anyway because the flex pipe is already torn and will rip it as well.

The Greddy SP2 is a catback, so a flex pipe is not included. Flex pipes come with an aftermarket header.
                            yo mike i told him so he just didnt wanna listen

Comment

alrite alrite

PM the address of this place, or how to get there.

Comment

Working...
                              X