Another alternator issue, yay!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another alternator issue, yay!!!

Well folks, I bought a used alternator off a guy on this site. I had a local shop check it over and he replaced the brushes or bushing or whatever the hell they are. I had it installed yesterday and just got my car back today. Right off the bat it makes a faint whining noise. Apparently it was worse when my mechanic friend first put it on. He told me he had to take it out and tighten the pulley. Still even after that there is a faint noise. I'm wondering if that is going to go away?

More disturbing than that is the fact that I still have that annoying lights dimming thing going on when my bass hits. Now when I first put in my 2 10s and amp it barely made the lights dim at idle. Gradually it started getting worse and I had my original alternator checked. It wasn't charging right so I looked around for another one.

So why is this still happening when this alternator should be fine? It tested fine.

"the J32a2 should be considered one of Honda's masterpieces..." Honda Tuning, July 2006

well from what i can tell it doesn't dim when i'm driving. i just got it last night so i'll have to see how things go over the next few days.
    "the J32a2 should be considered one of Honda's masterpieces..." Honda Tuning, July 2006

Comment

Hey man the reason your alternator is making a whining noise is because the bearings are bad it is caused by to much belt pressure my cousins car does the same thing wont hurt nothing but very annoying.

Comment

actually it sounds like it's coming from the power steering pump. wierd... just had the timing belt replaced and i'm wondering if some got jacked in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by accordme93
          actually it sounds like it's coming from the power steering pump. wierd... just had the timing belt replaced and i'm wondering if some got jacked in the process.
          Check the Tension of the Timing Belt. If it's too tight it will whine like all shit.

Comment

Originally posted by xfactortype1
            im not sure if this is true, but i heard this somewhere.
            your stock alternator at idle when it kicks on will charge at 95 amps. (auto)
            when you get and high ouput alternator i dont think it charges less than 95 amps at idle, but charges up as you go up the rpm's. and with the extra strain it dims the light. does it dim when your driving?

only other things i can suggest is to check your batery and connections (ie grounds)

cheers tom
            First, the whining noise is most likely your alternator bearing. Because of the way it is mounted to the block, the whining sound will appear to come from a number of places like the PS pump or the AC. Second, US accords come with an 80 amp alternator. 80 Amps is the output when it it spinning at 5600 RPM. I would do one of two things: there is a guy on eBay that takes Honda alternators, puts new bearings in them and "winds" them so they will produce 100+ amps which should help. Or, you should buy a Honda Remanufactured alternator. Mine doesn't dim at idle at all. Have your battery tested just in case.

Comment

it's extremely annoying and it definitely won't be staying that way for long. i think i will just take to the honda's only shop i always go to. my good buddy's uncle owns the shop and he is a great guy. he's done a lot of work on it in the past.

in the thread in the audio/electronics forum i said that my battery was over 6 years old. so i'm pretty sure it's time to replace it.

Comment

Did you replace all of your other belts along with the timing belt change? That's always recommended.
                Coming soon....

Comment

naw i didn't but i probably will soon.

just talked with guy that did the work and he said that alternator is a piece of crap. he said to give him my original factory one and he will rebuild it for me. so i'll just have him deal with it. the guy is hella cool and is working with me to fix the problem.

Comment

Working...
                  X