clogged cat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

clogged cat?

Ok, hear are the symptoms...the engine runs and pulls fine when cold, but as it get hot the low end starts lagging a bit...also, the engine starts up at the third time or fourth the engien turns over.colud this be the symptoms of a clogged cat?also, the lagging is especialy noticeble in 2nd gear.Highway driving is not affected much.Also, would a clogged cat make me run somewhat lean?cause my sparkplugs are white.I dont have the tools for a backpressure test so i would liek to get soem opinions...

ILBB

EDIT:the car ran rich for a week before i fixed that.
    People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Originally posted by DarkShadow707
    The world needs to be reset.

hmmm ive never heard of a clogged cat.. someone help this guy out

Comment

Well I never had that problem with my honda being that after i got the h i ran without a cat for awhile and still do. But when i had my mustang from back when i really wanted a honda i noticed that the symptoms where bogging,sputtering,car cutting out on me and really foul smell like something layed a rotten egg in the exhaust and black smoke. I hope this info helps.

Comment

Actually, in first and second gear, if i'm going at 15 or below, the car will sputter or "jerk" when i give or let go of teh gas

We talked about clogged cats in auto tech class today and this just got me thinking

ILBB
        People I have dealt with in this board- Smseagren83,d112crzy, Idrivealude, aznpnoyracer, wed3k, dinertime, HF22T, MRX, Dc2lewd, yeamans17, bruno8747, tn_accords, king james, starchland, yardiexd40

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Comment

Is the car a stickshift and what clutch are you using. If it stutters or jerks thats normal for a 5-speed. STop exploring shit besides driving normal or your gonna fuck up the car even more.

Comment

I dont know, it sounds like a bad o2 sensor with not much voltage left...or possibly your MAP sensor...

Are you throwing a CEL?
            Having a clogged cat...your car would start and then sputter and then die b/c the exhaust gases are not being emmitted through...

The cat-converter is made up a honeycomb-woved material...if it's full of carbon, i mean like thick deposits of carbon...it could be...are you running the same cat from day 1?

White spark plugs are fine, that means they are nearly new...

good luck, be a bit more descriptive...how did you stop your Honda from running rich? EMS tune?

1990 Accord Lx F22a1(Daily) SOLD - will be missed
            1990 Prelude Si B21a1 (Fun car!)

Comment

haha yeah the car is manual, but i dont remember my cousins car that i learned stick shift on doing that thats why i'm asking.It doesnt bother me i've learned how to avoid it...but yeah i'll try to get this thing in our shop in class tomorrow to see if i got aclogged cat.

ILBB

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Comment

Originally posted by Ilikebigbutts
                haha yeah the car is manual, but i dont remember my cousins car that i learned stick shift on doing that thats why i'm asking.It doesnt bother me i've learned how to avoid it...but yeah i'll try to get this thing in our shop in class tomorrow to see if i got aclogged cat.

ILBB
                are cats welded on or clamped on

Comment

The car was running rich because of a chipped ecu so i shouldn't say "fixed" i just switched them out.The car just feels sluggish i dunno maybe its jsut me but in 2nd gear 1500k-3200ish rpm it kind feels sluggish.Like if i stomp on i dont feel it "pulling",it feels like if i give it gas gradualy it picks up speed faster...So when i stomp on it it feels like something is hold the engine back you know?

No cels

ILBB

EDIT:maybe i should learn how to drive stick better and down shift to first though...lol.

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Comment

Originally posted by HondaGuy1212
                    are cats welded on or clamped on

bolted on

ILBB

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Comment

bolted on

ILBB
                      okk thats what i thought

Comment

accord13&ba4 b23a1?what engine is that?dont tell me it a single stick b series cause i got in an argument with a kid last week about how there is sohc b series i was like bullshit...What are the spec on that motor?

ILBB

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Comment

Originally posted by HondaGuy1212
                          okk thats what i thought
                          They can be welded on if you get a cat without flanges...

ILBB -
                          Oh, i gotcha now...chipped ECU...

Well, the key to driving stick is knowing the power band of your car...where it starts, the median and then where it falls off...

Comment

accord13&ba4 b23a1?what engine is that?dont tell me it a single stick b series cause i got in an argument with a kid last week about how there is sohc b series i was like bullshit...What are the spec on that motor?

ILBB

EDITED for OFF TOPIC reasons...

PM me, I'll tell you all you want to know...

Last edited by Accord13&BA4; 04-19-2006, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Yeah i gottcha...It always impresses me how everytime my dad drives my car it feels faster lol...he's been driving stick since 16 and he's 44 now...I suck at driving stick i'll admit that,lol.

ILBB

Mk3 Supra Member #2

Comment

Working...
                              X