anyone know how to cut plexiglass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone know how to cut plexiglass?

so im making a DIY red/clear tail light conversion and i just need to find a way to cut my plexiglass straight, does anyone know a tool i can use to cut plexiglass? ( razors etc too long and tedious ) do you know if anyone can cut it for you? thanks.

can't you just use a jigsaw and sand down the edges? i dunno.

Comment

you can score and snap it. that usually makes for a clean edge

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=22013
      cb7tuner.com Cleveland division

Comment

tried that, doesnt work too well.... i cut the hypodermis off of my thumb.. not cool.

Comment

Well I don't know what tools you have but any electric saw should do. Just nothing that'll spin too fast and melt it. The blade should have fine teeth and you might want to lubricate it as you cut. Look online for special bits too.
          A local woodcraft store that makes furniture might do it for you.
          Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
          -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
          MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

i used a jigsaw, but the edges dont come out too beautiful... maybe you could use a dremel with a sanding wheel to grind the edges down to size and make them straight...

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
              i used a jigsaw, but the edges dont come out too beautiful... maybe you could use a dremel with a sanding wheel to grind the edges down to size and make them straight...
              i tried using some kind of hand saw, a coper saw or something? haha im saw illiterate. but it didnt cut straight and i didnt like it. so... yeah home depot wont cut plexiglass, so you think a local furniture making shop will?

Comment

If you are cutting plexiglass sheet , you should use a tablesaw, but use a blade made for cutting it. A normal blade with crack it or melt it. I'd use a dremel on the taillight itself.
                members/ride | the/website
                180 hp/145 ft-lb

Comment

veeerrrrrryyyy slowly....lol
                  some cars have wings cuz they look cool.
                  some cars have wings cuz they increase efficiency.
                  some cars have wings to keep them from taking flight.
                  f1 fan

Comment

Table saw we use at work to cut that. To make the edges clear and smooth again, you have to sand it down and then buff it out. Or you can use Novus. its a product to remove scratches from plastic.

Comment

i don't see why a straight edge and razor don't do the job for you....if you're cutting yourself, then just stop that part of it, you can't be any clumsier than the guys i work with and they're still alive.......just use some c-clamps to hold one end of the straight edge while you hold the other, score it and then "trace" score it a few times and you should get it to break clean that way......this goes for 1/8" and smaller.......with a saw, you have to have the right blade, speed, width, etc......scoring is easier AND quicker if it's thin enough
                      ....and on the 7th day, deevergote rested and called his mom.

Comment

The car club I'm in did a project about a year ago involving cutting plexiglass. We used an airsaw to cut it. It was almost a 1/4 of an inch thick so scoring was not an option. Plus it needed to be the shape of the rear window for our CRX. The saw did have an issue with melting though. A few times it melted it self to the plexiglass. Just go slow and clean the blade off often. The airsaw left a lot of burred edges but a sander smoothed it all out very nicely. Now we have one glass window and one plexiglass window. Oh well. Good luck!
                        FSAE(F Series Accord Enthusiasts) "A dying breed..." #15

Need parts? Check out my 1990 EX part out!
                        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=60011

www.clemsonscc.com

Comment

when i made my guages for my car i used plexiglass and i did all my drawing with a sharpie, scored the glass then broke it into squares. Next I drew out my circles with a sharpie and used a table grinder to get it close (left about 1/16 to an 1/8 of an inch) then did the rest with a 200 grit dremel and worked my way to 800 in 2 steps. That made it smooth and somewhat preaty. Lastly i painted it after checking shape. just take your time and always leave more than you need and detail your way down to the right size... it sucks to work 4 hours on something just to throw it away cause you cut too much....it sucks a WHOLLEE BUNCH!
                          WTB:
                          88-01 prelude 2.0si (3g) si (4g,5g)
                          OR
                          90-93 Accord.

Has to be 5spd, has to be CHEAP. SUPER CHEAP. Will be in Indiana in February permanently and want a project car when I get settled in.

Comment

Working...
                          X