Mid-Engine RWD Coupe Proposal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mid-Engine RWD Coupe Proposal

So I talked to a few people today locally who had the tools/parts I need for this and it seems as though all is good. I got a great hook up on the pipe for the frame/roll cage and I have access to several mandrel benders. The custom fabrication won't be that difficult.

This is just a proposal at this point. I will keep you guys informed and post an assload of pics as the project starts.

Keep in mind that this car will never see another public street for the rest of its life and that I plan on working with a VERY MODEST budget (about $4-5k).

Also keep in mind that I'm not building it to any particular class specs for any particular racing. It's just a project to see what I can do and because I really want to do it.

Please forgive the crappy pictures. They were all done freehand and in the passenger seat of a moving car!

The Plans:

General frame overview:

Entire front of the car will be cut off at the firewall. Tubular bars will be bent and welded in to make the new front frame. It will mount to the reamaining lower frame rails and the re-enforced upper firewall. Front suspension will mount ina "OEM- style" setup to the frame bars. OEM style hubs will be used and large bolts will be used to fill the current axle holes. Front steering will function as usual. No ohter parts will be up front. An easily removable, one piece front end will cover the new tubular frame and will will be made of either fiberglass, carbon fiber, or urethane. It will have easily removable headlights but nothing else will be up front. It may get shortened by a few inches and will most likely incorperate a body drop into the suspension mounting locations.

General front frame setup:

The best way I can describe the rear half of the car is to picture an MR-2 as I'm describing it. There will be no rear side windows. The curved rear window will be removed and the back glass area will be modified to fit a flat piece of plexi-glass or lexan that slants vertically. It will start just after the front "door glass" area. The trunk will be eliminated. A new easily removable, one-piece rear with breather vents will be fabbed up that can slant open to make room for the engine bay or can be comletely removed and it will be made of either fiberglass, carbon fiber, or urethane. The rear will be slightly tubbed out and slight flared fenders to accomodate larger tires and to incoroprate side "scoops" to ingest air to help with radiator cooling and general bay temperatures. The intercooler will be mounted in the rear bumper with fans assisting air flow.

General rear frame setup:

The floorboard from the back seat area all the way back will be cut out and tubular pipe will be used to create a new frame and mounts for the engine/trans craddle and rear suspension. A new firewall will be inserted between the rear and the driving compartment. Interior roll cage will be incorperated into the design and will meet with both the front and rear tubular frame.

As for the engine and trans, Ideally they will be mounted to a "craddle" that is similar to the front crossmembers in the FWD setup now, except it will be lighter, stronger and also incorperate the side mounts into the craddle. The craddle will bolt into the rear tubular frame with 8 bolts. Custom shift cables will need to be made to reach the new location and will have to be mounted opposite (shifting would be opposite otherwise). Fuel cell will be mounted next to the rear firewall. Computer and all other electroincs will be mounted on the rear firewall as well. The idea is to make motor/trans installs or removal a 10-15 minute thing. Simply undo 8 bolts, the rear suspension mounting bolts, 2 electrical connectors, shift cables, a few hoses/lines and then the entire motor and trans can be lowered from the body with the drivetrain still attatched. I am still working out the details for the rear hub assemblies since they need to have openings for the axles to drive the rear wheels. I may rob the front suspension off of another Accord and modify it, or I may make something from scratch. Either way, I want to keep the rear independant suspension and will be using stiffer springs to accomodate the extra weight. The rear of the car may also be shortened by a few inches.

Motor craddle:

The heavy ass 90 lb coupe doors will be removed and replacement panel will be made out of carbon fiber or fiber glass that will be molded to the body (no more doors). The door glass will be replaced with removable plexiglass or lexan. The sunroof will be removed and converted into a simple emergency escape hatch using a latch, some removable hinges and plexiglass or lexan. Front windshield will be replaced with removable lexan.

An adjustable brake proportioning valve will be installed within drivers reach to adjust the amount of brake power the rear brakes have (for burnouts I want 0 rear brakes, but for tight turns I may want 40-60% rear brake power). The pedal assembly will also be modified to incorperate 2 gas pedals (extra one will be to the left of the clutch pedal). A sheet metal dash will be made from aluminum and will be decked out with nothing but gauges and switches (all serving a particular purpose).

General interior crap:

The engine itself is an F22B1 block with transversly mounted H22A head (intake up front, exhaust in the rear). Turbo is a Garrett T3 60 trim. The downpipe from the turbo will be straight down and curve slightly go directly out the center rear of the car and will most likely be 2.5" or 3" in diameter and only about 2 or 3 feet long total (no cat or muffler or anything). Trans will be a LSD trans, gearing has not been calculated yet and that really depends on what kind of wheels end up being used. Beefed up axles will be a must!

It's probably going to require wheelie bars and may need a parachute if it gets done right.

The rest of the car will be stripped even more and whatever does not serve a purpose for racing will be eliminated. All wiring will be re-done from scratch and will only be run for the devices left in the car that need it.

Total weight should be less than 1800 lbs when I'm done and weight distribution will be somewhere in the neighborhood of 35-40% front and 60-65% rear.

I'm pretty sure it'll drift alright, but with most of the weight in the rear, it's gonna make the rear tires stick and launch the car in whatever direction it's pointed. It should be a fun car in the twisties and still do good in straight line driving.

I know there's more ideas I had for this setup but that should be enough to give you a general idea.

Don't expect this to get done overnight. It's going to take probably a year or so, maybe longer considering the budget I'm trying to do this with.

Comments? Questions? Suggestions? (please read everything above before posting)
    Last edited by ACCLUDE91; 05-08-2006, 05:49 PM.

My Accord History:
    91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

well...it looks good on paper. just do the board a favor, and dont be "just another dreamer".

Can you really just mount the H22 head on backwards?

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

it requires some extra mods, like the dowel pins, valve cover to be cut, cams installed opposite along with new bearings. It's not as involved as some people think.

I'm definitely a dreamer, but I wouldn't take the time to type all of this out if I didn't plan on actually doing it!

Anyone that wants to help or can offer parts, you are more than welcome to

My Accord History:
      91 EX 2dr : 91 EX 2dr : 91 LX 4dr : 93 EX 2dr : 86 LXi 2dr : 92 LX 4dr : 92 EX 4dr

-Patrick

Comment

First question that comes to my mind is front suspension. The front springs are designed to have that 500 lbs. Without it, it's gonna lift the front (consequently dropping the rear by having the engine back there), and most likely destroy front traction around hard corners (nothing holding it to the road). Next, with the head on backwards, wouldn't you have to reverse the way the engine spins to make it work? Otherwise it'll open the exhaust valves on the intake stroke, and the intake on the exhaust stroke. Wouldn't it? Just my thoughts
        Last edited by InvaderTrax; 05-06-2006, 12:07 AM.
        Originally posted by DoctorCipher
        ...the beginner forum was created to provide a place for all the stupid ass questions to pile up and fester, kind of like huge globs of mayonnaise left in the sun for weeks at a time.

Comment

Yeah, I'm gonna have to use softer springs/struts, or at least angle them inwards slightly. There's a wrecked MR-2 with a good front that I may rob the sus. from. The beauty is that since it would be all custom, I can use whatever suspension I want! If I don't like it, just cut off the mounts from the tubular frame, weld on new mounts for a new front sus, and try taht one out. I can keep re-doing it until I find what works best and what I like best. Thanks for the constructive criticism

My Accord History:

-Patrick

Comment

Damn that should keep you busy for a while. Best of luck man.
            SuddenCb7 - 1992 Honda Accord EX Coupe

Comment

I started a project like this many years ago. I got the car down to bare frame and stripped all the paint and had it to a point that I could start modiying it from scratch. I had a little falling out with the owner of the shop it was at and that car got chopped to pieces I think cp[mike] still has some pictures of it when it was stripped. Maybe I can get him to post them sometime! Anyways, I KNOW I'll be busy for a VERY LONG TIME! It's fun tho so I don't mind

My Accord History:

-Patrick

Comment

sweet! I have a few thoughts if you don't mind me sharing... firstly it will probably cost twice as much at least! are you making the carbon fiber doors yourself?? mayube if you made everything yourself it could happen... okay:

could you use a hatch door as a rear hood or sorts? you could see the engine through the glass like a ferrari and open it up to work on it? haha this is a crazy project!!

About your intercooler since you are fabbing and cutting out the rear floor, you could use the exhaust cutout on the front floor where the cat used to be... basically you could turn the whole front of the car into a funnel to force air down the tunnel where your exhaust used to run. Then place the intercooler at the end of the tunnel in front of your rear firewall??

hold on to your butts

Comment

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=981613&page=1

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                  where you been, is something wrong?
                  i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Originally posted by hemlockz
                    sweet! I have a few thoughts if you don't mind me sharing... firstly it will probably cost twice as much at least! are you making the carbon fiber doors yourself?? mayube if you made everything yourself it could happen... okay:

could you use a hatch door as a rear hood or sorts? you could see the engine through the glass like a ferrari and open it up to work on it? haha this is a crazy project!!

About your intercooler since you are fabbing and cutting out the rear floor, you could use the exhaust cutout on the front floor where the cat used to be... basically you could turn the whole front of the car into a funnel to force air down the tunnel where your exhaust used to run. Then place the intercooler at the end of the tunnel in front of your rear firewall??
                    I am doingg all the work myself and with the help of a few friends/family members here and there.

The back will kinda resemble a MR-2/Ferrari, except at this point, I'm thinking of having if fold open backwards. Instead of just opening a hatch cover, I'm thinking of making the entire rear tilt to expose the whole rear section.

Underneatch will be getting a sheet metal "splash guard" to help with aerodymanics. I've thought about adding a "tunnel" for the intercooler like you said but no definite plans have been made with that. I'm focusing on the mosdt important aspects for now.

Originally posted by accordaffair
                    good thread! I've been through that and countless others. The thing is all the other guys took a front frame section chopped it and bolted it in leaving the rest of the car basically untouched. My plan is to basically re-do the whole car.

Keep the comments coming!

My Accord History:

-Patrick

Comment

wow, i thought i was crazy for wanting to do a RWD/AWD conversion. Good luck with that.

Originally posted by ACCLUDE91
                      good thread! I've been through that and countless others. The thing is all the other guys took a front frame section chopped it and bolted it in leaving the rest of the car basically untouched. My plan is to basically re-do the whole car.

Keep the comments coming!
                      I was going to basically cut the whole bottom of the car off and mount it to a custom frame with either an awd 2.5L subaru drivetrain or something nissan rwd.
                      Last edited by psyphre; 05-06-2006, 12:05 PM.

.:1993 EX-R Sedan:..:psyphredotcom:..:mrtazzymotorsports:.

Comment

Originally posted by psyphre
                        wow, i thought i was crazy for wanting to do a RWD/AWD conversion. Good luck with that.
                        You are, but he's crazier
                        Ok if you can mount the H series head backwards, that means you could mount a k series head straight. The problems I see are the timing chain,wiring, and the headgasket not lining up, but hell that should be a breeze compared to making the cb M-E.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

We all dream but he's put the dream into detailed plans, more than I've done haha lol man once you start you could take donations... I put a bit into that. That'd make cb's mad respected. It's been done on neons, heard even about neons being rear and having 8cyls in them, so why not try it on our honda(leave out the american 8) crazy crazy and I wanna see it
                          My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

Comment

Originally posted by ACCLUDE91
                            The engine itself is an F22B1 block with transversley mounted H22A head (intake up front, exhaust in the rear). Turbo is a Garrett T3 60 trim. The downpipe from the turbo will be straight down and curve slightly go directly out the center rear of the car and will most likely be 2.5" or 3" in diameter and only about 2 or 3 feet long total (no cat or muffler or anything). Trans will be a LSD trans, gearing has not been calculated yet and that really depends on what kind of wheels end up being used. Beefed up axles will be a must!
                            woot! nasty nasty dude!

Comment

i had thought about trying and swapping the Drivetrain from an awd odyssey... to an accord cause they have many parts in common (at least in the susp.) but im just starting out my life.... and that equals little money and little knowledge... at least at this point... so i cant wait to see the pics of this thing come along so i can get ideas for my stuff later on... if you dont mind me barrowing the ideas of course...

To see my car click here

Bordeaux Red Crew #8

Comment

Working...
                              X