lowering adds speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lowering adds speed?

Does lowering a car and adding a wing really help with optaining a higher speed? With the air having little space to go underneath the car and forcing it to go over and catch the wing it creates a push? I dont know really this is what I think.

It doesn't necessarily help with the speed, but the handling if you have the right suspention set up will help. You're lower to the ground, but with a stiff suspention kit that doesn't bounce a lot you will notice a huge difference.

Hope that helped you a little bit.
    Adam - Retired OG member from '03
    2010 Lexus IS-F : Starfire Pearl
    2009 Yamaha R1 Raven : Black on Black
    2002 Lexus IS300 : Crystal White Pearl / Black Leather

.. i HAD more shaved on my accord than your girl does on her entire body..

Comment

Re: lowering adds speed?

Originally posted by Speedfreak53
      Does lowering a car and adding a wing really help with optaining a higher speed
      LOL...sorry to laugh but that was funny...the wing thing that is. Lowering will create a lower center of gravity which in turn lowers the amount of area that air can rush underneath the car causing wind resistance. This is why most drag or very high speed cars get ground effects...not for looks but for performance. Most wings that i've seen on drag imports are sleek low to the trunk type wings not the rice wings u see on ur everyday F&F civic. Aerodynamics does play a big key in more mph but not for anything that isn't running a 10 sec. quarter mile in the first place. I'll try to go into more depth later if you really want it but i'd have to get into bernoulli's principles and aeronautical discussions. But for the most part the answer is no on the wings and yes on the lowering assuming ur blocking off and re-routing more of the oncoming air around the car rather than underneath it...its more of a stabilization effect but none of it matters under 150 mph
      Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Yeah it was kind of a dumb question... but thanks for the reply.

Comment

just make sure your suspension is on point i got tokico shocks now im goin from coilovers to springs for the power i want to make its gonna have a huge effect on my torque

Comment

For a front wheel drive car a wing isn't ever going to help out. It adds downforce to the backwheels and takes it away from the front wheels which is a bad thing. On top of that it adds more resistance which is just going to slow you down. This doesn't really take effect until highway speeds ~70 mph or so anyway. Lowering your car will make it perform better though. There is less room for turbelence under the car and the air will be forced through more quickly. Whether or not it's a big enough difference for you to notice I can't really say, but putting on a big ricer fin will most likely slow you down a decent amount.

Comment

Ya some people throw on wings just be like he im Fast but u have others that hates Aluminuim wings (ME) if i get a wing its for Show and it will probably be the Terminator II u think a 1.5 drop on my car would be cool
              Bump!

Comment

If you get a wing you should get something subtle. PLEASE don't put one of those big ass one's that looks let some bleachers on your car. Get a nice touring style wing or just get an ex model wing on there. Those kinds compliment the body style of cb7's best IMO.

Comment

the wing im looking to get will Represent YEAH!
                  Bump!

Comment

i cant wait till i get my springs on but im lazy right now
                    Bump!

Comment

What kind of suspension set up are you going to have?

Comment

i traded my in-dash Monitor for expensive Drop Zone Coilovers
                        Bump!

Comment

Please tell me you aren't putting those on stock shocks....

Comment

no
                            Bump!

Comment

Working...
                            X