axle problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

axle problems

I was putting on my new struts and springs and camber kit and one side went fine. When I went to put on the other side the axle slid out, like with the little bearings on the studs on the axle. there's three of them on the tranny side. So how do I put it back in?
    91 accord lx, ebay intake, koni rsk kit, 17's, clear corners, red clear tails, and a type r lip when I'm not in Pullman

It should just slip right back in. Just make sure it still has plenty of grease.
    00 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8 4X4

92 Honda Accord LX

95 Honda Civic CX

Comment

it doesn't just slip back in. each of the little parts of the cv joint have a one way kinda deal. There's two sides where the square piece and the bearing itself are flush, and two sides that they are not on each of the three. I worked on it for about two hours, and didn't get anywhere. I'm thinkin tomorrow I'll try somethin else, like pulling the whole axle and putting it together on the ground.
      91 accord lx, ebay intake, koni rsk kit, 17's, clear corners, red clear tails, and a type r lip when I'm not in Pullman

Comment

It sounds like you just separated your CV joint. You honestly just have to massage it back into place. You can also take it to a CV shop and they can work their magic and have it fixed in two minutes.

Be really careful when dealing with CV joints. Some refurbished ones you can get from shops don't hold the bearings in place when the joint is separated. In those cases, you don't have a choice but to take it to a shop to have repaired. The good thing is that CV shops don't charge a lot.

Comment

but I need the car back by tomorrow. I'll figure it out.

Comment

The biggest problem is that, when you separate it, the rubber boot forms a vacuum inside the joint. When that happens, the collapsed boot makes it difficult for the mechanical pieces to slide into place because the rubber doesn't want to re-expand.

Good luck with it. There's really no other advice to give other than to keep working at it.

I'll be in Vancouver and Portland tomorrow for a week. Let me know if you want some help.

Comment

each of the little nuckles on the shaft have to be slid just a hair off the shaft and the square piece on the nuckles need to have the flush sides all kinda facing toward each other in order for it all to slide in. Only took me probably 3 hours to figure that out, but it all went back together and I'm back on the road.

Comment

oh and thanks for offering the help
                do you know where raymond's at?

Comment

do you know where raymond's at?
                  Nope.

Comment

it's bout 2 and a half to three hours from portland/vancouver. Kinda out away from everything.

Comment

Working...
                    X