ah damn... car overheated tonight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ah damn... car overheated tonight

alright here's how the night went. drove about 15 miles on the highway to the bowling/pool place at 10pm in the rain and then drove over to a friend's house 15 miles back here. as i was leaving, i DID scrape a tiny tiny tiny bit over a speed bump, it probably hit somewhere on the intermediate pipe of the exhaust. we stopped, hung out, then left at around 12:30am.

i get home, reverse into the driveway. as i'm reversing, my temp gauge is going up... up.. up... passed the H.. i get the car parked and pop the hood. i hear the fans kicking in, but then notice faint smoke leaving the engine bay.. think to myself shit, now what

i shut the car down, then smoke starts SHOOTING out of the distributor and hissing for a good 20 seconds (it looked like the distrubutor, but it could have been something else. it was dark so i couldnt tell exactly, but i really think i saw the distributor smoking)

i wait it out and look under the car real quick. mind you it's dark and the only light i have is the motion light on the garage, i look under and it LOOKS to me like antifreeze is dripping fast. BUT... it could also just be the rain? i'm gonna take a look in the morning, but does anyone have any idea what my problem might be???

i hope nothings too fucked up

check the tubes on the back of the engine. rub your hand all over them & feel for a drip.

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
    01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
    93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
    93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Originally posted by Night Wolf
      check the tubes on the back of the engine. rub your hand all over them & feel for a drip.
      will it be alright if i did it in the morning? or should i do it now?

would a tube just randomly go like that?

Comment

Its most likely one of the tubes connected on the thermostat housing prob went out. AInt no way your dizzy is gonna throw steam lol no water runs through there. But you could have cracked something or a hose might have just gave out. You do drive an old car and radiator hoses takin a crap every now and then isnt new. Just replace it refill coolant you should be good.

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
          Its most likely one of the tubes connected on the thermostat housing prob went out. AInt no way your dizzy is gonna throw steam lol no water runs through there. But you could have cracked something or a hose might have just gave out. You do drive an old car and radiator hoses takin a crap every now and then isnt new. Just replace it refill coolant you should be good.
          i will update in the morning.. but for now, i need sleep

Comment

Originally posted by tanNn2koo
            i will update in the morning.. but for now, i need sleep
            Check it in the morning. You already got good advice.

Comment

i think i found the culprit.. but in the process i found another problem... pics below... a little dirty from dirt and oil, i had bad gaskets a little while back, but i've since changed them...

--circled in yellow is the hose that is leaking antifreeze. it's leaking where it meets the block. circled in blue is a wire i am unsure of, but it is cracked and only being held on by 2 metal prongs on the inside. can anyone tell me what wire this is?--

--another angle of the broken wire circled in blue--

--where the leak is coming from, circled in yellow. the broken wire circled in blue.--

i can't seem to get the damn hose off, it's on there pretty tight. and while trying to get it off, i noticed how flimsy the wire circled in blue was and noticed it was broken. what wire is this?

Comment

just get you a razor blade and cut the hose since your buying a new hose anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by gdout90accord
                  just get you a razor blade and cut the hose since your buying a new hose anyways.

yea but i cant get the damn clamp off, theres no room under the dizzy to get a hand or some pliers in there

and i need to know what that wire/connectr is

Comment

Small needlenose works wonders but yea just jam your hand down there and yank that ho out with the pliers lol Old clamps need some motivation which means you puttin ass into it. And for the switch is it on the block or t-stat housing cant really tell.

The New-ish Ride
                    My old Ride
                    Hear my Vtak!!!
                    MK3 Member #3
                    I piss off people for fun.
                    IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
                      Small needlenose works wonders but yea just jam your hand down there and yank that ho out with the pliers lol Old clamps need some motivation which means you puttin ass into it. And for the switch is it on the block or t-stat housing cant really tell.

it's under the dizzy, looks like it's going into the block

Comment

bump... anyone know what wire that is?

Comment

somthing to do with coolant temp i think....... try unplugging it and check whats the CEL

Comment

Also while pivoting to get the clamp off the hose be sure not to apply to much pressure and slip and crack that shit. Those set of sensors are held up by some chalk like material and they will easily crack from the connector itself so be very careful. Definitely change that hose I had to change 2.2azuls hose on her car when they replaced it with some kinda wack ass tubing. BUt her shit popped at her job so i wasnt able to help her out right away I did bring some coolant through and helped her out. But its defnitely that hose when your done spray that area down with the car cooled with some brake cleaner and clean up around there. And dont drive the car anywhere until you get that shit fixed.

Comment

Its your coolant temp sensor, I do believe. Its in the cylinder head. I'd clean all that area up, but it looks to me like you might have a leaky dizzy.

Comment

Working...
                              X