Can a throw-out bearing wear out a clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a throw-out bearing wear out a clutch

I just did my 5spd tranny swap last year and bought a brand new exedy clutch but didnt replace the throw-out bearing to my knowledge and now my good friend who owns a repair shop is telling me that my clutch is going bad, I can still drive but its kind of sluggish through gears, not by shifting but by clutching and giving it gas. So he said its not the tranny but the clutch because he could hear the throw-out bearing loudly. So I just wanted some feed back on if this is true for my situation.
    My CB For Sale

im just gonna go out on a limb and say your friend is an idiot the throwout bearing is just that a bearing has nothing to do with clutch wear even if the bearing didnt spin like its supposed to the clutch wouldnt wear if this friend of yours owns a shop i wouldnt let him touch my car if i were you

the build and demise
    buy stuff i want a new car

Comment

Originally posted by HF22T
      im just gonna go out on a limb and say your friend is an idiot the throwout bearing is just that a bearing has nothing to do with clutch wear even if the bearing didnt spin like its supposed to the clutch wouldnt wear if this friend of yours owns a shop i wouldnt let him touch my car if i were you
      Its funny that you say that because I called Exedy and the technical support people told me the exact same thing, but I'm going to take the tranny off and inspect it for myself. I just hope that I dont have to get another one and just get a throw-out to fix the problem. But I'll let you know once I get time to do it.
      My CB For Sale

Comment

Think the only part I can see a TO bearing fucking up is your pressure plate when you ride the clutch or it comin apart with aftermarket ones nowadays since most are made out of some sort of plastic I use OEM TO bearing since its solid metal. I took off my pressure plate and my throwout bearing ate that shit which is no bueno. And yea unless your buddy fucked up on the clutch what were the symptoms anyway before saying a bad clutch if this was recent. Did you break it in?

The New-ish Ride
        My old Ride
        Hear my Vtak!!!
        MK3 Member #3
        I piss off people for fun.
        IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

Originally posted by NAiL05
          Think the only part I can see a TO bearing fucking up is your pressure plate when you ride the clutch or it comin apart with aftermarket ones nowadays since most are made out of some sort of plastic I use OEM TO bearing since its solid metal. I took off my pressure plate and my throwout bearing ate that shit which is no bueno. And yea unless your buddy fucked up on the clutch what were the symptoms anyway before saying a bad clutch if this was recent. Did you break it in?
          well when I put it in first and try to take off its very rough but once it gets going its fine and reverse its the same way but it takes the rpm way down from the usual way before this happened. I can here the TO really loud so thats what Im believe it is if it effects smooth clutching. And yeah I broke the clutch in, I didnt even get on it until like 1500 miles since I travel back and forth to school I thought it would do some good, especially in all that stop and go traffic every damn day. I do have a question though, did you get your TO from honda or an autoparts store and should I just go ahead and just get another clutch so I won't have to deal with it later?
          Last edited by JTEK24; 08-30-2006, 10:44 AM.
          My CB For Sale

Comment

I used the TOB that came with my XTD clutch...i hope its ok! it felt like good quality..was definitly metal, not plastic.

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

I dont even remember if it was plastic or not. I just need to know where I can get a metal one besides a genuine honda dealer.
              My CB For Sale

Comment

whats wrong with a genuine honda dealer?

Owner of https://theclunkerjunker.com

Comment

making noise or not, the TOB will do its job unless #1. it falls apart into multiple pieces or #2. it was grinding against the pressure plate for so long that it wore through the release fingers.

both are unlikely, and your friend is an idiot. while bad shifting may be worn clutch related, its definately not because of your loud throwout bearing.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                  - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                  - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                  - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                  - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                  Current cars:
                  - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                  - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike]
                    making noise or not, the TOB will do its job unless #1. it falls apart into multiple pieces or #2. it was grinding against the pressure plate for so long that it wore through the release fingers.

both are unlikely, and your friend is an idiot. while bad shifting may be worn clutch related, its definately not because of your loud throwout bearing.
                    So what would you suggest mike?
                    My CB For Sale

Comment

i woudl suggest learing how to drive b4 saying its mechanical give us the symptoms so we can help you

the build and demise
                      buy stuff i want a new car

Comment

Originally posted by HF22T
                        i woudl suggest learing how to drive b4 saying its mechanical give us the symptoms so we can help you
                        I do know "how" to drive, I've been driving manuals for 9 years and never had a problem like this before so that was a dumb statement. And for the symptoms have you been reading the posts, whats your deal man? WTF!
                        My CB For Sale

Comment

Originally posted by Accord R33
                          I used the TOB that came with my XTD clutch...i hope its ok! it felt like good quality..was definitly metal, not plastic.
                          lol i must have gotten a bad one i was playing with mine when I first got my clutch and was able to rip it apart with my bare hands lol....And yea the TO bearing I got from Honda. Whoever did your clutch work or if it was yourself you should double check it and such. You grease up the forks and the shaft the to bearing sits on? USually greasing them will take that noise away. Your pressure plate might be effed up if its not "catching as well" as I found out when I was swappin out my trans lol Damn Luks clutches pressure plate was takin a shit on me but the clutch disk was fine lol.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          I piss off people for fun.
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

When i had my bros clutch done yesteday we just used the durlast one that came with the clutch kit.

yeahhh

Comment

with throw out bearings, ALWAYS go with honda oem.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Working...
                              X