temperature gauge problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

temperature gauge problem

Hey there. I've been spying on you cb7tuner's for months now and have never actually registered until today. This place is amazing for anyone owning a 4th gen. Anyways I finally was unable to answer one of my questions by searching previous threads :

My temperaturegauge will always jump to hot. My car is not overheating though, its been doing this for over a year. It will stay cold until the car warms up for a minute or so, then go straight to hot. Has anyone come accross this problem before. It's kind of annoying and not very useful Any info is appreciated, thanks.

first thing are ur fans kicking on,second could be ur coolent temp sensor which sends the signal to the dash its located on the block verry easy fix cost 30 bux and 3 minutes of your time also chek the thermostat. mine had the same problem it was my coolent temp sensor

Comment

Sounds good.
      Two more questions then:
      1) when exactly should the fan come one?
      2) did you go about testing the coolant temp sensor (using ohmeter?) or just replaced it?
      3) is the temp sensor located near the very bottom of the engine bay? just beneath the heatshield? thing that sticks out?

Thanks

Comment

Sounds good.
        Two more questions then:
        1) when exactly should the fan come one?
        2) did you go about testing the coolant temp sensor (using ohmeter?) or just replaced it?
        3) is the temp sensor located near the very bottom of the engine bay? just beneath the heatshield? thing that sticks out?

Thanks

Comment

1 the fan should kick on when engine is hot. the other fan usually turns on when u turn on the ac.
          2 the coolent temp sensor is easy to replace less than 3 minutes
          its on the left side of the engine block it has a plug connected to it.do it when engine is cold remove radiator cap to releace pressure,unplug the coolent temp sensor put a socket on it "make sure u have the new one ready cuz u have to do the switch fast to not lose coolent".just loosen it then unsrew fast with ur fingers and screw the new one in im not sure of the torque it should be tightend at but i just tightend lightly and used thred sealer. that is 90%chance ur problem.10% chance thermostat.
          Last edited by 4doorex93; 04-15-2004, 07:58 AM.

Comment

how is that thermostat? =)
            What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

if his temp gauge is not working properly it is controlled by the signal from the cts coolent temp sensor. it may be his thermostat but in our cars the temp usualy goes back down to c while driving if our thermostay is faulty.he can check see if there is no pressure in the top radiator hose when cold then see if there is pressure when hot by sqweesssing the upper radiator hose if so the thermostat is good cuz its opening and closing.just my 2 cents and associate degree in auto teck.im getting to learn these hondas quick i didnt workon much other than v8"s till the past year ive had my car.hope i help with ur problemb let me know

Comment

The same thing happened to me as well although it wasn't the coolent temp sensor. Turns out that it was just a bad temp guage. But it could also be your temp gauge sending unit. Best way to test it to pull the temp gauge sending wire and ground it. If the temp gauge shoots straight to hot then it's the gauge, if not then it's the sending unit. I just ended up getting an AutoMeter temp gauge and left the stock unit sitting on hot.

Comment

I haven't gotten around to testing the sender but today I constantly checked to see if my fan would come on and it didnt. Temperature today was about -9 (celcius). I Drove the car all around town and kept opening the hood (while it was running of course) and not once did I see the fan going. Do you htink this is just a coincidence? How can I test my cooling fan?

Comment

You can unplug the wire from the cooling fan switch and jump the wire using a paperclip or piece of wire. Bypassing the switch will complete the circuit to the cooling fan turning it on. If you bypass the switch and fans don't come on then obviously the fan motor is out. Oh yeah just because you were driving around doesn't make the motor hot because air flows through to cool the motor. You have to let it just sit there. The first time I watched to see if my fans would cut on it took almost 15 minutes for the fans to cut on the first time. But it's a good idea to test the fan motor first and then just let the car sit there to get to normal operating temp. If the fan works then it's the cooling fan switch that's faulty or even could be the cooling fan relay in the fuse box under the hood.

Comment

Working...
                    X