Well, my ignition broke!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, my ignition broke!

Yep, went to start her up today and the ignition broke. It's stuck IN and in the ON position. So I was able to push start the car, but had to stall it out when I got home to kill it.

I can imagine this is going to be a MAJOR nightmare to change. Here's an interesting question. Would it be possible to just wire everything up to a switch and pushbutton? I would be totally ok with a hidden kill switch and a push button start with no key involved.
    I read somewhere that marijuana effects the memory. For some reason I can't seem remember where I read that. -- max sideburn(aka torqstr)

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

CB7: The Movie TEASER VIDEO

most definetly you can to a start button. although im not good at explaining. i suggest you find someone locally that knows wiring. for now, just crack open the steering column and flathead the bitch. fuck a key.

Comment

how do I "flathead the bitch" lol
      I read somewhere that marijuana effects the memory. For some reason I can't seem remember where I read that. -- max sideburn(aka torqstr)

"Those who would sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither." - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

i tried turning the cylinder with a flathead screwdriver, no luck there.

What can I do as a temporary fix please?? I can't drive to work today or school.

Comment

if i was you i would get a new ignition, along with the keys.

Comment

well honestly I don't care about keys, never have. I'm fine with just having a push button, but how do I do it? Where do I start? Please I just need to get my car up and running, like immediately!

I noticed on Autozone.com there are two things:

Ignition Lock (Cylinder and Keys) for $9.99
            Ignition Switch $49.99

I know I will need the cylinder and key if I decide to go that way. But what about the switch? Where is that located and how can I be sure I don't need that also?
            Last edited by Torqstr; 10-10-2006, 01:05 PM.

Comment

pull your column and the actual ignition switch is a plastic peice screwed on the end of the cylinder unscrew it and us a flat head very easy although getting the old lock cylinder out of the ignition column is a pain in the ass id suggest popin the 2 screws on top out they are cap screws so they have to head grab a hammerand a all or a pick of sorts and turn them out like any other bolt then replace with actual bolts after

ov couse this is after you remove the plastic column cover

the build and demise
              buy stuff i want a new car

Comment

oh ok, thanks for explaining that. that makes much more sense now.

Comment

just like he said.. take the bottom cover out.. on the other side of the cylinder where the key is enter.. there is 5 wires attach to a white plastic circle piece. it has two + on it. take it out. then slide it out.. . you'll see a shape like a T.. put a flat head in it and turn it. it'll start up like a key and shut off like one. but dont use a small tool cuz ur'll strip it since it's plastic. if u strip it and get the cylinder to fix and work. it wont work so well with that plastic stripped. so take care of it. .. oh by the way. is ur car automatic or manual? it might be a wire.
                  DEFJAM

MY RIDE ON CB7 DEFJAM on 93

Comment

manual......but my ignition is physically messed up. It's pushed in and stuck in the on position. Trust me I've tried everything, the cylinder is just screwed.

Comment

ok, got everything apart, got to the actual ignition switch. pushed the clutch in, turned the ignition switch......nothing. I'm starting to think that my clutch switch is busted. What's the easiest way to bypass that stupid safety feature?

Comment

yep, turned out to be my clutch pedal switch. that's why I was having to keep turning the key in the first place, and then the cylinder broke. So now I need an ignition cylinder and clutch pedal switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Torqstr
                          yep, turned out to be my clutch pedal switch. that's why I was having to keep turning the key in the first place, and then the cylinder broke. So now I need an ignition cylinder and clutch pedal switch.
                          just bypass the switch, and replace the cylinder. That will save you a few bucks.

Comment

well the switch is bypassed right now. I kinda want it back though.

As for the cylinder, I still say I'd rather just hook up a pushbutton start and hidden kill switch. Don't suppose anyone has a link to a write-up, or any good info on what wires going to the ignition switch do what, so I could wire it up correctly.

Comment

Working...
                            X